Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

Mr. James Mackay, Junr., to the Native Secretary, Auckland

Mr. James Mackay, Junr., to the Native Secretary, Auckland.

Assistant Native Secretary's Office, Collingwood, 9th July, 1863.

Sir,—

With reference to my letter of the 16th April last, respecting the Taitapu Reserve, I have the honor to inform you that tha whole of the influential men of the Ngatirarua were present at a meeting held at Collingwood on the 3rd and 4th instant, to consider certain proposals made to them by the Ngatikinohaku. I took advantage of that circumstance to bring forward the question as to the page 325partition of the lands forming the Taitapu Reserve, between the Natives of the Ngatirarua, Ngatitama, and Ngatiawa Tribes. The Ngatitama and Ngatiawa Tribes were well represented at the discussion.

I have much pleasure in informing you that after many stormy arguments on the 6th and 7th instant, I succeeded in finally arranging the question to the satisfaction of all concerned. The Ngatitama and Ngatiawa are to give up all claim to the moneys arising from gold-mining licenses; also, all claim to the land at Taitapu except as follows:—
1.The Ngatitama to have all their old cultivations extending along the coast from Kaukauawai to Te Wahi Ngaki, and the country for one mile inland from the back boundary of those cultivations.
2.The Ngatitama chiefs Wiremu Katene Te Manu and Paramene Haereiti are to have some land near Patu Rau, Which they formerly cultivated in common with the Ngatirarna.
3.The Ngatiawa of Pariwhakaho are to have all their old cultivations extending along the coast from Turimawiwi to Taumaro, and the country for one mile inland from the back boundary of those cultivations.

I made the Ngatirarua and Ngatitama, and Ngatirarua and Ngatiawa, sign documents setting forth the boundaries of their respective blocks. On concluding this I paid over to the Ngatirarua the sum of £63, being the balance of fees collected for gold-mining licenses from the 11th February, 1882, to the 31st March, 1863, taking the receipt of three of the chiefs for the amount.

This is a matter which has been long pending, and the termination cannot be looked on as other than satisfactory, especially as the Ngatirarua have all through expressed their determination not to admit the other tribes to the reserve.

I have, &c.,
James Mackat, Junr.,
Assistant Native Secretary.

The Native Secretary, Auckland.