Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 5. — Mr. James Mackay, Junr., to the Native Secretary, Auckland

No. 5.
Mr. James Mackay, Junr., to the Native Secretary, Auckland.

Assistant Native Secretary's Office, Collingwood, 16th April, 1863.

Sir,—

I have the honor to enclose herewith accounts showing the sums received and expended on account of the Taitapu Gold Field from the 12th February, 1862, to the 31st March, 1863.

You will observe that the sum of £93 has been collected during that period, and that £19 10s. has been paid to the Natives; £9 10s. to the Receiver of Land Revenue here; and £1 for printing licenses; making a total expenditure of £30, and leaving a balance of £63 on hand.

In the absence of any instructions on the subject, I have not deemed it advisable to mix up the accounts of moneys received from the Taitapu Gold Field with those of moneys received by me as Receiver of Land Revenue at the Nelson Gold Fields, as the latter is payable to the Province, and the: proceeds of mining licenses issued for the former are to be handed over to the Natives.

With reference to the balance in hand, £63, I have not considered it prudent to hand it over to Riwai Turangapeke and Pirimona Matenga, in accordance with the agreement entered into with them on the 10th February, 1862, as they are disposed to act unfairly towards the other claimants to the Taitapu Reserve, especially those of the Ngatitama and Ngatiawa Tribes.

On the 10th and 11th days of September last, a meeting of the claimants was held at Collingwood, when I made certain proposals relative to the division of the money and lands between them. This was not carried at the time, but as I publicly announced my intention of holding the money until they could agree as to the division of it, and have since adhered to the terms then laid down, they are beginning to feel a little more desire to have the question finally settled; and I have no doubt it will eventually be amicably arranged.

I have, &c.,
James Mackay, Junr.,
Assistant Native Secretary.

The Native Secretary, Auckland.