Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

Mr. James Mackay, Junr., to the Native Secretary, Auckland

Mr. James Mackay, Junr., to the Native Secretary, Auckland.

Assistant Native Secretary's Office, Collingwood, 12th February, 1862.

Sir,-

I have the honor to inform you that an available gold field has been discovered on Native lands in the district of Taitapu, West Coast, Province of Nelson. This district commences at West Wanganui Harbour and terminates at Kauraugi Point. The whole of it was reserved for the use of the Natives, and is thus alluded to in Mr. McLean's report of the 7th April, 1856:-

"21. This deed provides that the land exhibited on the plan thereto attached shall be reserved for the Natives; it is, together with what they elsewhere possess, of sufficient extent for their present and future requirements, even if they have a considerable increase of cattle and horses; it is situated within natural boundaries, requiring no outlay for surveys, and lies on a part of the West Coast as yet remote from European settlers, but which the Natives were particularly anxious to retain. A Government right of road, should it in future be required, is provided for by a clause to that effect inserted in the deed:"

From the best evidence obtainable, it appears that the lands in question originally belonged to the Ngatitumatakokiri and Ngatipapa Tribes, who were conquered by the Ngatirarua and Ngatitama under Niho, Takerei, and Wiremu Te Kaihua. After the conquest the lands were divided between the Ngatirarua, Ngatiawa, and Ngatitama Tribes, the Ngatirarua retaining the largest portion. Since the reserve has been made, it has been generally considered to be held by Riwai Turangapeke for himself and others of the Ngatirarua Tribe. The Ngatitama claim is supposed to be given up, by the page 322Ngatirarua having relinquished any title they may have had to lands at Wakapuaka, which are held by a section of the Ngatitama. The only other owners beside the Ngatirarua are a few members of the Ngatiawa Tribe, who at present reside at Motupipi and Pariwhakaoho, and they are entitled to the valley of the River Turimawiwi.

In the middle of January last the Natives mentioned the discovery of gold at Ngatuihi, in the district of Taitapu, and then persuaded four Europeans to accompany them on a "prospecting" expedition to that place. On the 5th instant some of the Natives returned to Collingwood, reporting that gold had been found in considerable quantities,—that two men had procured one ounce in one day, without proper tools or appliances, and that several others had been more or less successful; in fact they seemed quite satisfied with the result of the "prospecting". This news immediately created a considerable amount of excitement among the European mining population at Aorere, and many expressed their intention to proceed to Taitapu for the purpose of mining for gold on the Native lands, or, in mining terms, desired to make "a rush" there. The Natives objected to this unless each man paid them for a license.

Seeing the probability of a serious misunderstanding arising, if Europeans were permitted to occupy the Native lands previous to some definite and binding arrangement being entered into with the owners thereof, I immediately issued notices cautioning Europeans from mining for gold within the district of Taitapu, and informing them that by occupying lands over which the Native title had not been extinguished, they would render themselves liable to a penalty of any sum not exceeding £100, or less than £5.

I at once proceeded to West Whanganui and had an interview with Riwai Turangapeke, and Pirimona Matenga Te Aupouri, son of the late chief Matenga Te Aupouri, and several other members of the Ngatirarua Tribe. They informed me that there was a large block of country which contained gold, and they were desirous that Europeans should be permitted to occupy it for gold-mining purposes. They also showed me an agreement which they had drawn up to that effect, the principal condition being that every person, European or Native, should pay a "license fee" of one pound per annum. I answered that I did not approve of entering into any such arrangement without orders and instructions from His Excellency the Administrator of the Government, and also that some of their terms appeared objectionable.

After a considerable amount of discussion, I requested Riwai Turangapeke and Pirimona Matenga Te Aupouri to accompany me to Collingwood, having determined to incur the responsibility of entering into an arrangement with them on behalf of themselves and others of the Ngatirarau Tribe, that is, if I found the European population still intended occupying the Native lands for the purpose of mining for gold thereon.

From information received from reliable sources, it appeared to be still the intention of the Europeans to make "a rush" to the newly discovered gold fields, and I considered it expedient, for the prevention of bad feeling and disputes between the two races, and for the preservation of order, to enter into an agreement with Riwai Turangapeke and Pirimona Matenga Te Aupouri, subject to the approval of His Excellency the Administrator of the Government, by which the European and Native miners would be permitted to occupy and mine on their lands at the Taitapu on condition that every person so mining or occupying should pay an annual license fee of £1. I do myself the honor to enclose herewith the agreement to that effect, which was entered into by them on the 10th instant.

I trust that, although feeling I have incurred a very grave responsibility by taking the Above steps, the extreme exigency of the case may be considered to atone for the same, and that His Excellency will kindly consider that, if some such amicable arrangement had not been immediately entered into, more serious evils might have ensued, and that if an error has been committed it has been unintentional on my part, and with a view of maintaining good feeling and understanding with the Natives. Requesting that instructions and full powers may at once be forwarded to me, if considered advisable,

I have, &c.,
James Mackay, Junr.,
Assistant Native Secretary.

The Native Secretary, Auckland.