Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

[No. 19.]

No. 19.

Deed of Sale by the Ngatikoata Tribe.

No. 534.Deed of Sale.£110.Ngatitama Tribe.Ceding claims in Massacre Bay, Province of Nelson.Executed March 7, 1856. E Whakaae pu ana matou i tenei ra i te whitu (7) o nga ra o Maehe i te tau o to tatou Ariki kotahi mano e warn ran e rima te kau ma ono (1856) kia tino tukua rawatia o matou whenua katoa ki tenei motu ki a Wikitoria te Kuini o Ingarangi, ki nga Kingi Kuini ranei omuri iho i a ia, ake tonu atu: Arakonga wahi katoa i hapa ai matou i nga tangohanga moni o mua o era hbkonga o te whenua, heoi ko te tino whakaotinga tenei i aua wahi ki a te Kuini o Ingarani ake tonu atu, ara nga wahi, Anapu, Aorere, Papakohai, te Parapara, Tukurua, Anekaka, te Waikaha, me o matou ngakinga katoa ki Tukurua.

Ko nga utu enei ki a matou mo aua wahi katoa kotahi te rau kotahi te kau pauna (£110) ko aua moni kua riro mai ki a matou i tenei ra na Te Makarini i homai Heoi ko te tino otinga tapu tenei o a matou kupu katoa mo runga i te whenua ka oti tonu atu i tenei ra e whiti nei ki nga Pakeha a ake tonu atu.

A mo to matou whakaaetanga, ka tuhia iho o matou ingoa me o matou tohu.

Wiremu Katene Te Puoho.
Hori r Te Korama.
Henere Te Ranga.
Kapai x Te Herewine.
Kataraina x Moari.
Harawira Maketu.
Pirika x Tangi Nui.
Teira x Tamarau.

Nga kai titiro—

M. Richmond, Commissioner, Crown Lands.

Elwin B. Dickson, Clerk in Land Purchase Office.

W. Jenkins, Native Interpreter.

[Translation.]

We fully and entirely consent on this day, on the seventh of the days of March, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and fifty-six, to give up and finally transfer all our lands in this Island to Victoria, the Queen of England, or to the Kings or Queens who may succeed her for ever and ever; that is to say, all the places for which we did not receive payment in any former sal??? of land. Now this is the full and final giving up of those places to the Queen of England for ever, viz., the following places, Anapu, Aorere, Papakohai, te Parapara, Tukurua, Anekaka, te Waikaha, and all our cultivations at Tukurua.

The payment we receive for all these places is one hundred and ten pounds (£110), which money has been paid to us this day by Mr. McLean. Now this is the full and sacred ending of all our words concerning the land, which is fully given up and transferred to the Europeans on this day on which the sun now shines, and for ever and ever.

And having thus agreed, we sign our names and marks.

[Here follow the signatures.]