Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

[No. 18.]

No. 18.

Deed of Sale by the Ngatikoata Tribe.

No. 533Deed of Sale.£60.Ngatitama Tribe.Codingelaimato land at Motupipi and Takaka Province of Nelson.Executed 10th Mar., 1856.Tenei Pukapuka tuku whenua e tuhituhia nei i tenei ra i te ono (6) o nga ra o Maehe, i te tau o to tatou Ariki kotahi mano e waru rau erima te kau ma ono (1856) he pukapuka tino tuku pono na matou i o maton whenua katoa i Powhare, Motupipi, puta noa ki Takaka ki Rangiata, ara ki nga wahi katoa i utua i mua e Te Aupouri ki nga pauna moni kotahi rau e iwa te kau (£190).

Ko matou kihai i tango i aua moni i mua no reira ka mau tonu to matou whakaaro ki taua whenua, ko tenei ka whakaotia rawatia e matou aua whenua katoa i tenei ra e whiti nei ki a Wikitoria, te Kuini o Ingarangi mo nga pauna moui e ono te kau (£60 0s. 0d.) takitahi; me nga wahi kua whakaritea mo matou, ko aua moni kua riro mai ki a matou i tenei ra, na Te Makarini i homai, e kore hoki matou e tuku i etahi tangata kia whakararu i nga Pakeha i runga i tenei whenua, ka oti atu nei mo nga Pakeha ake tonu atu.

Pene x Te Ao Te Rangi.
Eruera x Te Rauhihi.
Kereopa x Te Tapuhi.
Henere x Te Paia.
Meihana x Te Ao.
Retimana Te Ware Mamuku.
Wiremu x Ngaparu.
Manihera x Te Aomarama.
Teone Riwha.
Iniia x Ohau.
Hoani x Taitapu.
Tare x Te Kaui.
Rameka x Te Ketu.
Watene x Hoko.
Rawiri x Kiaka.
Rawiri x Te Ihe.
Paratene Te Pena.

Nga kai titiro—

M. Richmond, Commissioner, Crown Lands.

T. L. Tudor, Clerk, Motueka.

W. Jenkins, Interpreter.

Elwin B. Dickson, Clerk in Land Purchase Office.

page 318

[Translation.]

This paper or deed of sale, written on this day, on the sixth of the days of March, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and fifty-six, is a paper of our full and true transfer of all our lands, from Powharo; Motupipi, thence to Takaka and to Rangiata, that is to say, all the places that were formerly sold by Te Aupouri for the sum of one hundred and ninety pounds (£190).

As we did not receive any part of that money formerly paid, we continued to oppose the sale of that land. But now we completely give up all these lands on this day, on which the sun now shines, to Victoria, the Queen of England, for the sum of sixty pounds (£60) in money; together with the land which has been granted to us. We will not allow any persons to interrupt or disturb the Europeans who may settle upon this land, which is now given; up to them for ever and ever.

[Here follow the signatures.]