Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

[No. 17.]

No. 17.

Deed of Sale by the Ngatikoata Tribe.

No. 512.Deed of Sale.£100.Ngatikoata Tribe.Claims in the Nelson Province.Executed 5th March, 1856.Plan attached.Tenei Pukapuka tuku whenua i tuhituhia nei i tenei ra i te rima (5) o nga ra o Maehe i te tau o to tatou Ariki kotahi mano e waru rau e rima te kau ma ono (1856) he Pukapuka tino whakaae pono na matou na nga rangatira me nga tangata o Ngatikoata kia hokona kia tino tukua rawatia o matou whenua katoa ki tenei moutere ki a Wikitoria, te Kuini o Ingarani, ki nga Kingi Kuini ranei o muri iho i a ia ake tonu atu. Nga rohe o a matou whenua koia enei ki nga rohe tonu i tukua e o matou whanaunga a Ngatitoa kei te Hoiere, te Paparoa, Kaiaua, Titirangi, Tawhitinui, Whangarae, Onetea, Okiwi, Ananga, Omokau, Whangamoa, maunganui, otira ko o matou wahi katoa.
page break page break

Plan of deed of sale by the Ngatikoata Tribe.

page break page break page 317

Mo te tino tukunga rawatanga i enei whenua katoa me ia wahi o matou, haunga ra a Rangitoto, me nga wahi hei nohoanga mo matou, e whakaae ana te Kuini o Ingarani mona kia utua matou ki nga pauna moni kotahi te rau takitahi (£100). Ko aua moni kua riro mai i a matou i tenei ra na Te Makarini i homai.

Ko nga wahi hei nohoanga mo matou koia enei: 1st. Te tuatahi, ki te roto i Kaiau he wahi iti ki te taha tonu o te roto ko te rae ki te Pakiaka tetahi rohe ko Puketeraki tetahi rohe. 2nd. Te tuarua, ko te wahi i ruritia e Parana te kai ruri ki Okiwi. 3rd. Te tuatoru, ki Whangarae ki te wahi i ruritia e Parana. 4th. Te tuawha, ki Onetea erua te kau (20) eka ki Whangamoa, kotahi te rau (100) o nga eka; Heoi ano nga wahi mo matou, a mo to matou whakaaetanga, ki nga tikanga katoa o tenei pukapuka ka tuhia jho e matou o matou ingoa me o matou tohu ki whakatu, i tenei ra i te rima (5) o nga ra o Maehe i te tau o to tatou Ariki, kotahi mano e waru rau e rima tekau ma ono (1856).

Rene Te Ouenuku.
Maka x Tarapiko.
Rupini x Te Pokauri.
Raniera x Te Patete.
Renata Pau.
Paratene x Hukaroa.
Rataimana Te Pahu.
Aperahama x Tengi.
Raniera x Kawaru.
Hohepa x Te Kiaka.
Tamati x Te Mau.
Renata Te Ohiohi.
Te One x.
Tare x Whakaurare.

Nga kaititiro—

Thos. Brunner, Government-Surveyor.

W. Jenkins, Native Interpreter.

Elwin B. Dickson, Clerk in Land Purchase Office.

[Translation.]

This paper or deed of sale, written this day, the fifth of the days of March, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and fifty-six, is a paper of the full and true consent of us, the chiefs and people of Ngatikoata, to entirely and for ever transfer all our lands in this Island to Victoria, the Queen of England, or to the Kings or Queens who may succeed her for ever and ever. The boundaries of our land are the same as those sold by our relatives the Ngatitoa, at the Hoiere, Te Paparoa, Kaiaua, Titirangi, Tawitinui, Whangarae, Onetea, Okiwi, Anunga, Omokau, Whangamoa, Maunganui, and all other places belonging to us.

And having agreed to sell and for ever give up all these lands, Rangitoto and our reserves excepted, the Queen of England, on her part agrees to pay us in money, one hundred pounds (£100), which money has been paid to us this day by Mr. McLean.

The reserves for us are as follow: —First, the lake at Kaiaua and a small piece of land adjoining, bounded on one side by a bridge at the Pakiaka, and on the other side by Puketeraki; second, the land that was surveyed by Mr. Brunner at Okiwi; third, Whangarae, also surveyed by Mr. Brunner; fourth, twenty (20) acres at Onetea, and one hundred (100) acres at Whangamoa. These are all the reserves for us.

And having consented to all the conditions contained in this paper, we hereto sign our names and marks, at Nelson, this day, the fifth of the days of March, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and fifty Six.

[Here follow the signatures.]