Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

[No. 14.]

No. 14.

Receipt for £100 paid to Rangitane.

No. 529.Receipt.£100.Rangitane Tribe for all claims to land in the Middle Island.Dated 1st Feb., 1856. Kua riro mai ki a matou, i tenei ra i te ra tuatahi o Pepuere i te tau o to tatou Ariki, 1856; nga paunu moni kotahi te rau takitahi (£100) he mea utu mai ki o matou ringaringa na Te Makarini mo a matou whenua katoa ki tenei moutere, ara mo nga whenua o Rangitane i Wairau, puta noa ki Arahura rere noa ki uta ki te mutunga rawa o a matou oneone o tenei iwi o Rangitane he koha tenei ki a matou ki nga morehu pakiaka o te whenua, haunga nga wahi e whakahokia mai e te Kawanatanga he ngakinga kai mo matou.

Piraha Tereawa x.
Pipi x.
Karo x Toke.
Meri x Te Rapu.
Ani x Kaikoura.
Peti x Rea.
NamariRina x Te Wakaahu.
Naumia x.
Rora x Te Maori.
Kataraina x Te Maiwitia.
Ruhi x Munana.
Wikitoria x.
Pawani x.
Kararaina x Te Rawa.
Hohua x Te Hanai.
Ihaia x Te Kawenga Kaikoura.
Wiremu Paratene.
Paora x Te Rangitakaia.
Hura x Parapaia.
Enoka x Te Waua.
Paraone x Kaitua.
Paremena x Makeki.
Honi Te Wana x.
Titore x.
Hekiere x Tangatakino.
Koroniria x Te Mutu.
Te Wi Kiriwa Waiharakeke.
Hoani Paka x.
George Macdonald x (a boy 3 years of age).
Hane x (a young girl.)

Nga kai titiro

Wiremu x Te Kanae.
Hohepa x.
Pukekohatu x.
Hamahawa x.
Rawenata x Kahikiw.
Te Wirihana x.
Hone x Paratene Tamari.
Meihana Te Ware.
Hata To Kikotuwha.
Henare Ehua.
W Bridge, Surveyor, Wairau.
Arthur Martin, Grazier, Wairau.
W. Jenkins, Native Interpreter.
James Macdonald.

[Translation.]

We have received on this day, on the first day of February, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and fifty-six, the sum of one hundred pounds (£100) paid into our hands by Mr. McLean for all our claims on the Island, that is for all the lands of the Rangitane from Wairau to Arahura, running inland as far as the claims of the tribe of the Rangitane extend. This is the payment to us, the survivors of the original claimants of the land exclusively of the places set apart for us by the Government as residences and cultivations.

[Here follow the signatures.]