Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

[No. 11.]

No. 11.

Receipt for £200 paid to Ngatiawa Tribe.

Receipt.200Ngatiawa Tribe.Claims to land at Te Awaiti, Province of Nelson.Dated 24th November, 1854.Kua riro mai ki a matou, i tenei ra, i te rua te kau ma wha o nga ra o Nowema, 1854, na Te Makarini i homai nga pauna moni e rua rau takitahi, £200. Hei utu tenei mo o matou whenua katoa kei te Awaiti, ara mo nga whenua katoa kua oti i a Rawiri Puaha ratou ko nga rangatira o Ngatitoa te tino tuku rawa atu ki a te Kuini o Ingarani i tuhituhia hoki e ratou ki te pukapuka tuku whenua i te tekau o nga ra o Akuhata, 1853.

Heoi ko te utunga whakamutanga tenei ki a matou mo o matou wahi whenua katoa ki tera moutere kua oti nei te tino tuku rawa atu e matou i tenei rangi ki a Wikitoria te Kuini o Ingarani hei whenua tuturu mo nga pakeha ake tonu.

Te Herewine X Te Tupe.
Teone waiti.
Aperahama x Putiki.
Epiha Tupoki.
Mahoro.

Kai titiro ki tenei homaitanga utu me enei tuhinga ingoa—

Gr. S. Cooper, District Commissioner.
John P. Russell, Settler, Wairarapa.
Wiremu Tako.

[Translation.]

We have received on this day, on the twenty-fourth of the days of November, 1854, from Mr. McLean, the sum of two hundred pounds (£200) in money. This is in payment of all our lands at Te Awaiti— that is, for all the lands which have been entirely given up by Rawiri Puaha and the chiefs of Ngatitoa to the Queen of England, as described in the deed of sale dated the tenth day of August, 1853.

Enough: this is the final payment to us for all our lands in the other Island, which we have entirely surrendered on this day to Victoria, the Queen of England, as a sure possession for the Europeans for ever and ever.

[Here follow the signatures.]

page 311