Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 6. — Mr. Tinline to Mr. Brunner, Government Surveyor

No. 6.
Mr. Tinline to Mr. Brunner, Government Surveyor.

Superintendent's Office, Nelson 31st August, 1852.

Sir,—

With reference to my letter of the 24th instant, I am now directed by His Honor the Superintendent to convey to you his instructions relative to the survey you are required to execute in the lately purchased block of land in Massacre Bay.

1.You are to lay off two small reserves, to comprise about 10 acres each, for the use of the two families of Natives at present living on the purchased block; one at a place called Te Rae, which is a short distance north of Pakawau, for the chief Wiremu Te Koihua, and his son James Cook; the other at Te Whanganui, for the Native Matiaha and his family.

With respect to the reserve for Wiremu Te Koihua and his son, His Honor is anxious that it should be laid off according to such natural boundaries as may be found upon the ground; and His Honor believes, from his recollection of the locality, that there are two small streams which will form good natural boundaries on the north and south sides. It will be necessary to reserve a sufficiently wide strip of land between the eastern boundary and the sea-beach as a right of way, and the western boundary will approach to the hills.

With regard to the reserve to be made at Te Whanganui, you will consult the wishes of the Native Matiaha, as to whether he will prefer it near to the small pa called Toiere, on the south shore of that harbour, where he is now living, or on the opposite side of the harbour, where he has got his cultivations, and at the same time inform him that the land to be reserved for his benefit must be in one block and cannot be subdivided.

2.As His Honor very much desires that an approximation may be made of the amount of land lately acquired, I am instructed to request that you will, as far as your time will permit, make such a traverse of the district as to attain that object. I have also to request that, whilst executing such traverse survey, you will cut a line up the Pakawau, of sufficient length to reach the coal seams which exist in that river, and as much farther as your time will permit; and you will report upon the facilities that may exist for land and water carriage, and at the same time ascertain, if your stay will be sufficiently long at Pakawau, the different depths of the river at full and half tides during the spring and neap tides.

I have, &c.,

John Tinline,
Clerk to Superintendent.

Thos. Brunner, Esq.