Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 4. — The Superintendent of Nelson to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary, Wellington

No. 4.
The Superintendent of Nelson to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary, Wellington.

Superintendent's Office, Nelson 31st May, 1852.

Sir,—

During the stay at Nelson of the Natives who had assembled for the sale of the land at Massacre Bay, they were urgent that an arrangement should be made for the purchase of the West Coast. I pointed out to them that the present was a good opportunity for their arriving at a decision as to the price they required. The result is that they still adhere to the sum of £2,000 for the coast line, and now add £1,500 for the interior of the country, from the Rotoroa proceeding southward, which is claimed by the tribe represented by Te Iti and Ngapiko (of Motueka).

page 291

The coast line from Te Whanganui to the southernmost portion of the Island is claimed by Natives of the Ngatitama and Ngatirarua Tribes, and the claims of the Ngaitahu Tribe resident upon the land is said by the Natives now here to be included in the £2,000. Indeed, I have reason to believe that the whole of the claims could be satisfied for the sum of £2,000, but as His Excellency the Governor-in-Chief, on a previous reference, considered the sum exorbitant, I of course could not treat with them on these terms.

As this purchase has been a long time pending, and the Natives have become very importunate and troublesome, I think it would be advisable for the Government to fix a sum, and if it is not accepted by the Natives, then that an end be put to any further negotiation on the subject.

I have, &c.,

M. Richmond,
Superintendent.

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary.