Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 2. — The Superintendent of Nelson to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary, Wellington

No. 2.
The Superintendent of Nelson to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary, Wellington.

Superintendent's Office, Nelson 5th January, 1852.

Sir,—

Agreeably to His Excellency the Governor-in-Chief's instructions, I endeavoured to arrange for the purchase of the land on the West Coast from Te Whanganui Harbour to Ruapuke, comprising all the land along the coast to the South of the Island, which the Natives have so long been desirous to dispose of to the Government; but I found they place so exorbitant a price upon it, ranging from ten to forty thousand pounds, and obstinately adhere to these terms, that of course I could not proceed with the negotiation, and I merely promised that I would acquaint His Excellency with the matter. I may mention that the Natives of Motupipi interested in the purchase agreed for the sum of £2,000 as the price of the district, but this has been repudiated by the Natives residing in Blind Bay.

I have, &c.,

M. Richmond,
Superintendent.

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary.