Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 8. — Mr. Mantell to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary

No. 8.
Mr. Mantell to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Otago, 17th May, 1852.

Sir,—

I have the honor to acknowledge your letter of the 26th March ultimo, No. 52, 331, enclosing a report by Mr. McLean on the Native letter of which I had the honor to forward a copy in my communication of the 24th February ultimo.

I observe that Mr. McLean states " I have written to ascertain Taiaroa's sentiments on the subject" (the sale of the Arahura District by Wahapiro), "a reply to which letter has not yet been received." A reference to the deed of sale of the Ngaitahu Block, the north boundary of which commences at the Old Pa, Kaiapoi, and runs N.W. magnetic across the Island to the neighbourhood of Cape Foulwind, will show that the Ngaitahu title to the Arahura District has been extinct for some years. Even prior to its extinction, Taiaroa would not have been the party to treat with for that part of the country.

I have, &c,
Walter mantell.

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary,

Wellington.