Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 9. — Mr. Mantell to Mr. Domett

No. 9.
Mr. Mantell to Mr. Domett.

Otago, 17th August, 1853.

Sir,—

I have the honor to enclose a copy of the deed of cession of the Murihiku Block, executed this day between the Native claimants and myself.

I have also the honor to transmit a copy of the map annexed to the deed, and of those of the Native Reserves in the newly acquired territory.

You will observe that by the deed I have engaged to pay one instalment of £1,000 at Otago, immediately on the assembly there of a few sub-claimants whom Topi and Matewai will bring up at once, probably before the end of next month; and the second, also of £1,000, at the Bluff, as soon as the money shall arrive.

On the subject of these funds, I have the honor to address you a letter supplementary to this. As such arrangements were perhaps not foreseen in my instructions, I do myself the honor, in a separate communication, of reporting to you, for the information of His Excellency the Governor, the circumstances under which I have felt it incumbent upon me to depart from the letter in order to carry out the spirit of those instructions.

I have, &c.,
Walter mantell,
Commissioner for the Extinguishment
of Native Claims.

The Civil Secretary,

Wellington.