Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

[No. 8.]

No. 8.

630.Deed of Sale.Waitohi.£300.Ngatiawa for claims to Waitohi.Dated 4th March,1850.Plan attached.This Deed written this 4th day of March, 1850: It is agreed by Ropoama, Hemi Potaka, Witikau, and Te Retimana, and the other Natives whose names are written to this deed on behalf of themselves and all the other people who own the land named below. It is agreed between all these Natives and Queen Victoria, Sovereign England, that whereas, as far back as the 30th day of December, 1848, it was declared by an agreement of Ropoama and the Natives of Waitohi, with the Governor and Mr. Bell, the Agent of the New Zealand Company, to sell to them Waitohi as a settlement for the Pakeha, and to give up the pa at Waitohi, the port, the cultivations, and all of the land at Waitohi. And whereas the payment agreed by the Governor and Mr. Bell to be made for Waitohi was as follows: the surveying of a village at Waikawa, the ploughing of a piece of land near Waikawa as cultivations for the Natives, the building of a wooden house as a chapel at Waikawa, and the payment of one hundred pounds in money, to complete the purchase for the above-named place for Waitohi.
page break page break

page break page break page 267

Now, as the surveying of the village at Waikawa has been completed for the Natives, and as also the chapel is now building agreeably to the expectations of the Natives.

Whereas likewise the ploughing of the land above mentioned has not been commenced, but instead Ropoama, and the whole of the aforesaid Natives of Waitohi, have agreed to take a sum of money amounting to two hundred pounds, in payment of such ploughing. Therefore, the full meaning of this deed is this: In consideration of the said three hundred pounds (for the land one hundred pounds, and for the ploughing two hundred pounds) having been paid to Ropoama, Hemi Potaka, Witikau, and Te Retimana, on behalf of themselves and all the other owners of the land at Waitohi, and the payment of which money is by them acknowledged,—Ropoama and the aforesaid Natives, Hemi Potaka, Witikau, and Te Retimana on their own behalf, and on behalf of all the Natives who have remained behind at Waitohi, hereby agree to give up fully to Queen Victoria, and her heirs and people for ever and ever, all the land at the Weranga o waitohi, the pa, the port, the cultivations, and all the land according as it is described in the plan attached to this deed. In consideration also of this final payment being perfectly satisfied, Ropoama and all the Natives agree to give up at once the cultivations and pa, and the whole of the land at Waitohi, and vacate it for the Pakeha. Further, Ropoama and the Natives above mentioned, Major Richmond, Her Majesty's Chief Magistrate at Nelson, and also Mr. Bell, have all of them signed their names to this deed, to make fully known their complete assent to the contents of the same.

Copy of Original Deed in Maori.

Ko Tenei pukapuka i tuhituhia i tenei wha o nga ra o Maehe, 1850, whakaaetia e Ropoama, e Hemi Potaka, e Witikau, e Te Retimana, me etahi atu tangata Maori i a ratou nga ingoa kua tuhituhia, ki tenei pukapuka mo ratou ake ano mo nga tangata hoki no ratou katoa te whenua e karangatia ana ki raro nei, whakaaetia ano e aua tangata Maori ratou me te Kuini Wikitoria te Ariki Nui o Engarani Na, imua ano i te toru tekau o nga ra o Tihema, 1848, i whakatakatoria te tikanga o te whakaaetanga o Ropoama, ratou me nga tangata Maori i Waitohi, ki Kawana raua ko te Pere te Kaiwhakarite, o te Whakaminenga o Nui Tireni kia hokona atu a Waitohi ki a raua mo raua kia nohoia e te Pakeha kia tukua atu te pa i Waitohi, me te wapu, me nga mara me nga mahinga, me te whenua katoa i Waitohi, na ko nga utu i whakaae ai a Kawana, raua ko te Pere kia utua mo Waitohi, ina ko te ruritanga o tetahi taone kei Waikawa ko te parautanga o tetahi wahi kia tua atu o Waikawa hei mara mo nga Maori, ko te hanganga o tetahi whare rakau hei whare karakia kei reira kei Waikawa, ko te hoatutanga hoki o nga moni kotahi rau paunu hei utunga whakamutunga mo taua wahi mo Waitohi.

Koia, notemea kua oti te ruritanga o te taone i Waikawa mo nga tangata Maori, waihoki ko te whare karakia kei te hanga pai ano, ki ta te whakaro o nga Maori. Notemea hoki kahore ano i timataia te parautanga o te whenua i karangatia ake nei, otira kua whakaae a Ropoama me ana tangata Maori katoa i Waitohi, ki te tango i etahi atu moni erua rau a nga pauna hei whakaeatanga mo taua parautanga whenua.

Koia ra hoki ko te tino tikanga o tenei pukapuka. Koia tenei mo te mea kua hoatu ana etoru rau pauna moni (mo te whenua takitahi, mo te parautanga takirua), ki a Ropoama, me Hemi Potaka, me Witikau, me Te Retimana mo ratou ake ano mo nga tangata katoa hoki no ratou taua whenua a Waitohi, a whakaaetia e ratou te hoatutanga o nga moni, e whakaae nei a Ropoama me aua tangata a Hemi Potaka, a Witikau, me Te Retimana, mo ratou ake ano mo nga tangata katoa ano kua noho atu i Waitohi, kia tukua rawatia atu ki te Kuini Wikitoria, me ana tangata me ana uri ake ake tonu ake te whenua katoa i te Weranga o Waitohi ko te pa, ko te wapu, ko nga ngakinga, ko nga mahinga, ko te whenua katoa ki ta te tikanga o te ahua o te whenua kua taia ki tetahi pukapuka, kua apititia ki tenoi pukapuka, na te mea hoki kua rite rawa te ritenga whakamutunga nei e whakaae ana nei a Ropoama me nga tangata katoa kia tukua atu anaienei e ratou nga ngakinga me te pa me te whenua katoa i Waitohi kia waiho atu ma te Pakeha.

Na kua tuhia e Ropoama me nga tangata Maori kua korerotia ake nei, kua tuhia hoki e Te Retimana te tino Kai whakawa o te Kuini i Whakatu, kua tuhia hoki e te Pere e ratou katoa, a ratou ingoa ki tenei pukapuka, kia mohiotia rawatia ta ratou tino whakaaetanga ki nga tikanga katoa i tuhia i roto i tenei pukapuka.

Te x tohu o Ropohama.
Arapere x.
Mohi Ngawatu.
Akia x.
Hamuera x.
Hohepa Ngapuke.
Taituha Te Wakamaru.
Tipene Ngaruna.
Pohipi Te Tapuae.
Tamati Te Hawe.
Tiaho x.
Witikau, tona x tohu.
x Amiritona.
Hemi Watikingi.
Herewini, tona x tohu.
Te Retimana.
Napua.
Hora Rakeha.
Henere.
M. Richmond, Superintendent.
F. D. Bell, Resident Agent, N.Z. Company.

Witnesses
Henry F. Butt, Clerk.
Jno. Tinline, Sheriff and Native Interpreter.

page 268