Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 5. — Despatch from Governor Grey to Earl Grey

page 265

No. 5.
Despatch from Governor Grey to Earl Grey.

Government House, Auckland, 4th August, 1849.

My Lord,—

In reference to my Despatches, No. 3, of the 1st February, and No. 46, of the 7th April last, relative to the purchase from the Natives of the Valley of the Waitohi, I have now the honor to transmit for your Lordship's information the final report of the Superintendent of Nelson upon this subject, from which your Lordship will find that the whole matter has been satisfactorily and conclusively arranged upon the basis which had been previously agreed upon, and that there is now no difficulty in the way of the New Zealand Company completing their arrangements with the Nelson settlers.

Great credit is due to Major Richmond, and to Mr. Bell, the Agent of the New Zealand Company, for the manner in which they concluded the negotiation. Major Richmond's report also affords a very interesting view of the increased confidence which the Natives repose in the Europeans, and of their anxiety to obtain employment as labourers, whenever an opportunity offers of their so doing.

I have, &c.,
G. Grey.

The Right Hon. Earl Grey.