Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

[No. 12.]

No. 12.

Mr. Fox to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

New Zealand Company's Office, Wellington, 18th September, 1849.

Sir,—

I have the honor to acknowledge the receipt of your letters of to-day's date, covering one from Mr. Mantell to yourself relative to the negotiations intrusted to that gentleman at Banks Peninsula. I have much satisfaction in learning that he has succeeded in arranging with the Port Levy Natives.

In reference to the additional funds requested by Mr. Mantell, I beg to inform you that I transmitted to Captain Thomas at Port Cooper, ten days ago, the sum of £300, as then requested, the safe arrival of which has since been reported. As Mr. Mantell seems to think that a small increase on this amount may be required I shall be prepared to make it on your requisition, being anxious to complete the purchase of the Peninsula, and having great reliance on Mr. Mantell's discretion. I should think that £100 or £200 more ought to be the extreme limit; though, rather than leave the matter incomplete, I might go as far as £1,000 in the whole, inclusive of the two sums already sent.

I have, &c.,
William Fox,
Principal Agent, N.Z. Company.

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

page break