Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

[No. 7]

No. 7.

Natanahira Waruwarutu to Mr. Rolleston.

E Te Roretana,—

Rapaki, Tihema 19, 1865.

Tena koe. Kua tae mai au reta e rua utu mai mo taku reta ki a Whititera kua kite iho au i te kupu a te Huparitene o Katapere nei e ki nei kaore ia e pai kai tukua te wai, koi whakakino i ka rauiri tuna a te Maori. E hoa he kupu mamika tenei kupu. E ta kia roko mai, tenei ake te tino tuhia atu ai he whakahoki atu mo aua reta, kai tonoa e au aua reta ki ka Runaka tirotiro ai hei reira ka tuhi atu ai. Ekore ra e pai kai waiho te utu o te kaika o tetahi takata ma tetahi e tako. Ka mutu. Otira kia mohiotia te Kawanataka ko wai ra.

Ki a Te Roretana.

Natanahira Waruwarutu.

page 241

[Translation.]

O Mr. Rolleston,—

Rapaki, 19th December, 1865.

Salutations to you. Your two letters in reply to my letter to Mr. FitzGerald have come. I have seen the words of the Superintendent of Canterbury, who says that he has no desire that the water be let off and the eel-weirs of the Maoris be spoiled. That is a false word. O sir, do you hearken, hereafter will the letter of particulars in reply to yours be written, after I have sent them to the Runangas for them to see. Then shall (the letter) be written. It is not right that the payment for the place of one man be left for some one else to receive. Ended. But we wish to know who the Government are.

To Mr. Rolleston Natanahira Waruwarutu.