Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

[No. 6]

No. 6.

Mr. Rolleston to Natanahira Waruwarutu.

E Koro e Natanahira,—

Poneke, Tihema 13, 1865.

Tena koe, kua tae mai te reta a te Huparitene o Katapere he utu mai mo te reta i tukuna atu ki a ia mo runga i tau i tuhi mai nei i te 9 o nga ra o Hepetema, mo tetahi roto wai Maori i tua o Pote Kupa e meingatia ana kia tukua te wai kia rere. E ki mai ana te reta a te Huparitene, e, kahore ana whakaaro kia tukua te wai kia whakakino nga rauiri tuna a te Maori; engari heoi anake te mea e wehingia ana, kei pakaru te wai ki runga ki te whenua katoa. Kahore atu he kupu.

Na tou hoa,

Na Te Roretana.

[Translation.]

To Natanahira,—

Wellington, 13th December, 1865.

Salutations. The letter from the Superintendent of Canterbury, in reply to a letter written to him in regard to your letter dated 9th September, about a lake of fresh water behind the hills at Port Cooper being drained, has come. The letter from the Superintendent states that he has no desire in draining the lake to spoil the eel-weirs of the Natives, but the chief thing to be feared is the inundation of the whole country. There is no other word.

Your friend,
W. Rolleston.

To Natanahira Waruwarutu, Rapaki.