Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

[Correspondence Relative To a Reserve Originally Situated At Te Hakataramea, Province of Canterbury]

page 231

Correspondence Relative To a Reserve Originally Situated At Te Hakataramea, Province of Canterbury.

No. 1.

Mr. Mantell to the Civil Secretary.

Crown Lands Office, Otago, 19th March, 1853.

Sir.—

Having, as I had the honor to report in my letter relative to that mission, been unable in November, 1848, to spare the time which would have been necessary to visit the kaika of Te Warekorari at Te Hakataramea on the Waitangi River, I was, as then reported, under the necessity of promising that a reserve should be surveyed for him at that place at some future time. On my recalling this promise to the recollection of the Governor-in-Chief, prior to my leaving Wellington, I was honored with His Excellency's directions to proceed to the above-mentioned place whenever my other duties might permit, and to set apart such reserve as might seem necessary.

In obedience to these directions, I visited Waitangi in December last, with the further view of making such examination of the resources of that valley as might verify or refute the prevalent conviction that from scarcity of timber and even fuel, and distance from a point of shipment, it was, however fine the pasture, unfit for occupation. I have the honor to enclose brief reports on these two subjects.

Although on the occasion above referred to this Governor-in-Chief gave me permission when necessary to give names to places, I would not venture to interfere with one which has already appeared in the Government Gazette- If however no material objection exists to the abandonment of the name of Waitangi, which is unpleasing and so common as to create confusion, I would earnestly suggest that that river be called the Molesworth, in remembrance of one of the earliest and best settlers whom New Zealand has ever lost.

I have, &c., The Hon. the Colonial Secretary. Walter Mantell.

Report on the Reserve at Te Hakataramea, Waitangi Gorge, promised to Te Warekorari for himself and family.

The population of Te Hakataramea is as follows:—Te Warikorari, m., 50; Tuapuka, f., 40 Their children,—Roiti Pi, f., 15; Taitu, 10; Tomiti, 11; Te Hira, 6; Te Oromene, 3. Betrothed to the two elder boys,—Te Rakiamoa, f., 16, daughter of Karuwai; Tumutu, f., 8, daughter of Te Kihi. One adult son, Ihaia, absent at Sydney.

A reserve of 150 acres at the mouth of Te Hakataramea will suffice for himself and family; and I will, on my next visit, mark out and make a sketch survey of that amount. In the meantime, as the country in his immediate neighbourhood (North Bank) offers little inducement for settlers, even with stock, I have not prohibited the continuance of his cultivation of patches of fertile soil here and there on the low flats and islands of the river. These gardens are mostly in places which no European would think of cultivating at present; and since the southern bank must soon be occupied, I am desirous that the settlers should have at the outset as large a supply of food as the scantiness and (with the honorable exception of Te Warekorari) the laziness of the Native population will permit them to raise.

Te Warekorari's attachment to Europeans and their customs has acquired for him among the Natives the name of "Te Pakeha," by which he is now generally addressed. His conduct since the sale of the country has been in such favourable contrast to that of Huruhuru and the Punaomaru Natives that I would suggest that some trifling present or other mark of His Excellency's approbation would be well bestowed upon him; it would also operate advantageously as a tacit but intelligible censure of the conduct of the latter Natives, whom nothing but the distance and the smallness of the police force has preserved from the consequences of their wanton destruction of the little woods in their neighbourhood. They (especially Huruhuru and Rakitawine) have devoted days to felling trees which they leave to rot upon the ground,—being only actuated by a wish to injure the Government; page 232which, prompted by the Waikouaiti Natives, they blame for an alleged dishonesty of Te Marama. A recurrence of such conduct I shall feel it my duty to punish, however disadvantageous the circumstances under which the prosecution must be conducted. I think it more probable, however, that they will next be heard of in the Middle District; William Harpur (in whose favour a grant, which I find he little merits, is probably now ready for issue,) having incited them to migrate to the Waimatemate wood on the Waihau, whither he is to accompany them.

I have marked my approbation of Te Warekorari's conduct, but what he would most prize would be some proof of that of His Excellency the Governor-in-Chief.

Walter Mantell,

Crown Land Commissioner,
(Late Commissioner Extinguishing Native Claims.)

Report on the Lower Waitangi Country, from Cape Wanhou (Makotukutuku) to Pukewhinau, December and January, 1852-53.

1.Pasture.
2.Fuel.
3.Timber.
4.Inland Transport.
5.Shipment.
6.Miscellaneous.
1.The pasture is good throughout; and a large extent, especially inland to Fire Beacon (Rakaikuruwheo), indeed wherever the porous tertiary limestone occurs, bears natural growth at least equal to any which I have seen on unstocked land in New Zealand. Messrs. Suisted, Nairn, D. Scott, and Cormack will (so far as they have seen) corroborate this opinion. The only drawback is tumatakuru, of which there is a great deal in some parts of the plains; but this, I believe, disappears before stock and burning.
2.Fuel.—In the eastern portion very scarce; but probably, or rather almost certainly, lignite will be discovered in the Waiareka or Kakaunui country.
The woods at present known are as follows:—
Acres Scrub.Acres Copse.Acres Forest.
1. Wanhou Cliff010
2. Cliff Wood020
3. Copse on the Hemans (Oamaru)010
4. On the Landon (Awakokomuka)100
5. Papakaio040
6. Crusoe Copse, &c.00
7. Keatsbourne (Waikoura) half belonging to Natives030
8. The Chatterton (Awaamoko)080
9. Maerewhenua (near the Source)080
10. Blackwood, and foot of Domett0050,100
11 and 12. Otekaikeke, Oteaki, Kohurau, Awawakamau2500
2627¼50,100
besides charred totara logs on the ranges, and the scrub and driftwood on the river islands.

Peat is found on the hills between Kakaunui and Maerewenua.

Wood being so scarce, I deemed Te Warekorari's assertion that there was coal one day's journey inland of his kaika, although contradicted by the other Natives, worthy of investigation. I therefore went up the South Bank through the gorge to Te Awawakamau, where we crossed the river on mokis, and found the lignite on the Pukewhinau Stream, made a large fire with it, and brought away about 3 cwt of specimens, which I left at Punaomaui and Tauhimi. I also arranged with Warekorari for the delivery of it at stations along the river, which he will effect by means of large mokis carrying upwards of a ton; the price per ton to be fixed by me. To aid me in fixing the price, it was necessary to have a more distinct idea of the difficulties of the moki-navigation of the Waitangi. I therefore came down in a moki, the voyage or "rere" from Pukewhinau to Te Hakaturamea occupying one hour, and that thence to Te Punacmaru four hours. I propose to fix rates, varying according to the distance, from £1 to £3 per ton, for the lignite delivered at the river's side at places which drays can reach. As the lignite is perhaps not in my district, I would request the sanction of the Governor for this arrangement, and that His Excellency would also be pleased to confirm my direction that no Native but Warekorari be privileged to work at the lignite in question; should it ever be thought worth working by Europeans, this arrangement would not be an obstacle to their obtaining the necessary license. Lignite also occurs high up the Hakataramea; and I may further mention, that from an intelligent Native who accompanied me down the coast in 1848, I learn the existence of beds of lignite, some of good quality, commencing near the Elephant (Pohowaikawa), and running thence about N.N.W. to the upper Waihau country. I have the honor to forward small specimens from Pukewhinau which you will perceive is not of first-rate quality.

3.Timber must be imported, or obtained from Blackwood or the woods on runs Nos. 11 and 12. The great forest, though clothing three sides of Hawea and Wakatipu, comes no lower than the upper course of the tributaries of the Waitangi Lakes, which are themselves woodless. Much of the limestone is fit for building, and cleavable slate is reported inland.
4.Inland Transport.—The plain commencing at the mouth of the Hemans continues without interruption to the Gorge, about thirty miles; passes through it in two terraces from 100 to 200 yards wide, and thence stretches, widening and narrowing alternately, to the lake, whither I should have no hesitation in taking a dray at once. Just below the Piriamokotaha (an impassable cliff on the North Shore) the river narrows, between vertical slate cliffs of 20 to 30 feet high, to less than 100 yards. It is evident, at a glance, that this is the place for a bridge, and the two terraces form a beautiful site page 233for a town which should eventually be one of the most important inland towns in the Island. This spot is about North from Mount Domett, the snowy peak mentioned in a former report.
5.Shipment.—This must be effected at the mouth of the Hemans, which, sheltered on the South by Cape Waubrow and on the North by Point Sigourney, a low level promontory, and having what is reported to be a good roadstead, is a really valuable place on a harbourless coast. When I was there the wind was N.E. mod., and the sea in the bight so calm that a small canoe might have landed with perfect safety. There is a second boat harbour at the Cape, practicable when the Hemans landing is not.
6.The conjecture which I hazarded in a former report, that the remains of the Moa would probably be found in a district so suited to the habits and wants of that bird, has been borne out by our discovery near Cape Waubrow of a forgotten kaika of the aboriginal Waitaha Tribe, the umus filled with bones and eggshells of Palapteryx aptornis, &c., burnt stones, charcoal, and remains of dogs, seals, &c.
Walter Mantell,

Crown Land Commissioner.

P.S.—I should have mentioned that Wanganui Natives, with such canoes as they use on that river, would I think not hesitate to navigate the Waitangi. The canoes could be poled or tracked up the side channels. There is not now a canoe on the river.

No. 2.
The Civil Secretary to Mr. Mantell.

Civil Secretary's Office, Wellington, 6th April, 1853.

Sir,—

In reply to your letter of the 19th ultimo, reporting on the general capabilities of the district on the banks and vicinity of the Waitangi River, I have the honor to request that you will inform the Native chief Te Warekorari that his conduct throughout the whole of the negotiations for the sale of this district has been such as to be highly gratifying to His Excellency the Governor, who trusts that he will continue to set the good example he has hitherto done to the rest of his countrymen; and that, as a proof of His Excellency's approbation, you have been directed to make him a present.

You will therefore have the goodness to procure and present to this chief such articles as in your opinion would be most agreeable to him; and for this purpose you are authorized to incur an expense not exceeding £10 sterling.

His Excellency further approves of the extent of the reserve, viz., 150 acres, recommended by you to be made for Te Warekorari and his family; and you are further directed to carry out your recommendation with as little delay as possible.

I have, &c.,

Alfred Domett,
Civil Secretary.

Walter Mantell, Esq., Commissioner, Otago.

No. 3.
Mr. A. Mackay to the Under Secretary, Native Department.

Christchurch, 3rd March, 1868.

Sir,—

In reference to the remarks contained in my report of 6th January, respecting the selection of suitable land in lieu of the 150 acres originally chosen at Hakataramea (as a reserve for Te Warekorari), I mentioned a place named Waikawa, to the south of the River Waihou, as a good locality to select the land at, and that I would make inquiries on my return to Christchurch as to the practicability of securing land at the aforesaid place. I have the honor now to inform you that I have ascertained at the Land Office that a [gap — reason: damage]portion of the land alluded to by me is available for selection. I would therefore beg to recommend that land to the extent of 300 acres should be chosen there for the following objects, viz.,—150 acres in lieu of the Hakataramea Reserve; 100 acres to provide additional land for the residents at Waimatemate; and 50 acres in lieu of the Tauhinu Reserve (Te Kapa's pa), which I recommended should be abandoned, as being unsuitable for Native occupation. I found on inquiry that a good deal of the best land, a portion of which I had hoped to secure, has been already purchased; there is still, however, a large block of average land to be had, if immediate action is taken to secure it.

If the Government should consider it expedient to adopt my suggestion, I would beg to recommend that His Honor the Superintendent should be informed that land to the extent of 150 acres will be chosen at the place named in my letter, instead of at Te Hakataramea, and that the remaining 150 acres shall be acquired by the usual mode.

Enclosed I beg to hand you a tracing of the locality in question; showing the spot alluded to by me, as indicated by the pencil lines.

I have, &c.,

Alexander Mackay,Native Commissioner.

The Under Secretary, Native Department.

No. 4.
The Under Secretary, Native Department, to Mr. A. Mackay.

Native Secretary's Office, Wellington, 2nd April, 1868.

Sir,—

In reply to your letter of the 3rd of March, 1868, in which you suggest that 150 acres should be taken at Waikawa, instead of at Hakataramea, as a Native Reserve, and that an additional 150 page 234acres should be bought at the same place, I am directed by Mr. Richmond to inform you that your recommendation is approved. It is not, however, proposed to abandon Te Kapa's pa, as suggested by you. An authority for £300 will be forwarded to the Paymaster at Christchurch for the purpose.

I have, &c.,

H. Halse,
For the Under Secretary.

No. 5.

Memorandum.

Land to the extent of 150 acres, by the direction of the General Government, was purchased at Waikawa, on the 16th April, 1868, for the sum of £300, to supplement the Native Reserve at Waimatemate and Tauhinu; and 150 acres was also chosen there in lieu of the same quantity at Hakataramea. The claim to this section was heard before the Native Land Court, at its sitting at Christchurch, in May, 1868, and a certificate of title ordered in favour of Rawiri Te Maire and the other surviving relatives of Te Wharekorari.

Alexander Mackay,
Native Commissioner.

1st November, 1870.