Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 3. — Mr. A. Mackay to the Under Secretary, Native Department

No. 3.
Mr. A. Mackay to the Under Secretary, Native Department.

Christchurch, 3rd March, 1868.

Sir,—

In reference to the remarks contained in my report of 6th January, respecting the selection of suitable land in lieu of the 150 acres originally chosen at Hakataramea (as a reserve for Te Warekorari), I mentioned a place named Waikawa, to the south of the River Waihou, as a good locality to select the land at, and that I would make inquiries on my return to Christchurch as to the practicability of securing land at the aforesaid place. I have the honor now to inform you that I have ascertained at the Land Office that a [gap — reason: damage]portion of the land alluded to by me is available for selection. I would therefore beg to recommend that land to the extent of 300 acres should be chosen there for the following objects, viz.,—150 acres in lieu of the Hakataramea Reserve; 100 acres to provide additional land for the residents at Waimatemate; and 50 acres in lieu of the Tauhinu Reserve (Te Kapa's pa), which I recommended should be abandoned, as being unsuitable for Native occupation. I found on inquiry that a good deal of the best land, a portion of which I had hoped to secure, has been already purchased; there is still, however, a large block of average land to be had, if immediate action is taken to secure it.

If the Government should consider it expedient to adopt my suggestion, I would beg to recommend that His Honor the Superintendent should be informed that land to the extent of 150 acres will be chosen at the place named in my letter, instead of at Te Hakataramea, and that the remaining 150 acres shall be acquired by the usual mode.

Enclosed I beg to hand you a tracing of the locality in question; showing the spot alluded to by me, as indicated by the pencil lines.

I have, &c.,

Alexander Mackay,Native Commissioner.

The Under Secretary, Native Department.