Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

Mr. Mantell to the Civil Secretary

Mr. Mantell to the Civil Secretary.

Crown Lands Office, Otago, 19th March, 1853.

Sir.—

Having, as I had the honor to report in my letter relative to that mission, been unable in November, 1848, to spare the time which would have been necessary to visit the kaika of Te Warekorari at Te Hakataramea on the Waitangi River, I was, as then reported, under the necessity of promising that a reserve should be surveyed for him at that place at some future time. On my recalling this promise to the recollection of the Governor-in-Chief, prior to my leaving Wellington, I was honored with His Excellency's directions to proceed to the above-mentioned place whenever my other duties might permit, and to set apart such reserve as might seem necessary.

In obedience to these directions, I visited Waitangi in December last, with the further view of making such examination of the resources of that valley as might verify or refute the prevalent conviction that from scarcity of timber and even fuel, and distance from a point of shipment, it was, however fine the pasture, unfit for occupation. I have the honor to enclose brief reports on these two subjects.

Although on the occasion above referred to this Governor-in-Chief gave me permission when necessary to give names to places, I would not venture to interfere with one which has already appeared in the Government Gazette- If however no material objection exists to the abandonment of the name of Waitangi, which is unpleasing and so common as to create confusion, I would earnestly suggest that that river be called the Molesworth, in remembrance of one of the earliest and best settlers whom New Zealand has ever lost.

I have, &c., The Hon. the Colonial Secretary. Walter Mantell.