Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 3. — Lieutenant-Governor Eyre to Mr. Kemp

page 229

No. 3.
Lieutenant-Governor Eyre to Mr. Kemp.

Mr. Kemp,

13th June, 1850.

Reply to this that the question raised by them was long since settled by Governor Grey, who told them, on their applying to him at Wellington, that he could not disturb or reopen the arrangement made relative to the purchase of Wairau, Kaiapoi, &c., from the Ngatitoas. Neither can I now consent to reopen or alter any arrangement relative to the reserves at Moeraki. I have examined into the matter, and find that the reserve made there contains 500 acres, which is considerable for the very few Natives resident there.

Question relating to land and arrangements made relative to reserves, &c., cannot be reopened or altered when once they have been settled; otherwise no end of confusion would take place, and land would be of no value, because there would be no knowing what arrangements were to be the final ones. Therefore I cannot consent to disturb those which have been made relative to Moeraki.

G. Eyre.

Matiaha informed accordingly.

H. Tacy Kemp.

15th June, 1850.
page 230