Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 14. — Despatch from the Right Hon. W. E. Gladstone to Lieutenant-Governor Grey

No. 14.
Despatch from the Right Hon. W. E. Gladstone to Lieutenant-Governor Grey.

Downing Street, 21st March, 1846.

Sir, —

I transmit to you herewith copies of correspondence with the New Zealand Company, on the subject of a report which they have received from their Principal Agent at Wellington, accompanied by copies of two deeds of grants executed by Governor Fitzroy in favour of the Company—the one for 71,900 acres of land in the settlement of Wellington, and the other for 151,000 acres in Nelson (of which the 60,000 acres at Wairoa form no part), but subject to certain conditions and exceptions, which form the ground of representations from the Company.

I have to request that you will inquire and ascertain whether the reports which have been made by the Company's Agent afford such a representation of the whole state of the case as to leave you no cause either to controvert or qualify any part of it; and if you should find that representation complete and accurate, you will take: such measures for the relief of the Company as it may be in your power to adopt.

I have, &c.,

W. E. Gladstone.

Lieutenant-Governor Grey, New Zealand.