Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 29. — Mr. Somes to Lord John Russell

No. 29.
Mr. Somes to Lord John Russell.

New Zealand House, Broad Street Buildings, 19th November, 1840.

My Lord,

I have the honor to acknowledge the receipt of a letter dated the 18th instant, from Mr. Vernon Smith, enclosing, by your Lordship's directions, the draft of the arrangement proposed by your Lordship.

These have been laid before the Court of Directors at its meeting this day and I have great pleasure in being able to assure your Lordship in their name, as well as my own, that the terms are not only such as we have no hesitation in accepting, but that, in the liberal and judicious principles oh which they are framed, we see ample ground for the fullest confidence in the spirit in which Her Majesty's Government is prepared to execute them.

The Court of Directors has given instructions for preparing without delay the draft of a charter of incorporation, which will, I trust, in a few days, be submitted for your Lordship's approval.

I am also desired by the Court to acknowledge with gratitude the intimation contained in Mr. Vernon Smith's letter, of your Lordship's intention of communicating the information which was requested respecting the general principles by which the Crown proposes to be guided in its measures for the government and colonization of New Zealand.

I have, &c.,

Joseph Somes, Governor.

The Right Hon. Lord John Russell.