Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 16. — Proclamation in the name of Her Majesty Victoria, Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, by William Hobson, Esquire, a Captain in the Royal Navy, Lieutenant-Governor of New Zealand

No. 16.
Proclamation in the name of Her Majesty Victoria, Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, by William Hobson, Esquire, a Captain in the Royal Navy, Lieutenant-Governor of New Zealand.

Whereas I have it in command from Her Majesty Queen Victoria, through her Principal Secretary of State for the Colonies, to assert the sovereign rights of Her Majesty over the southern islands of New Zealand, commonly called "The Middle Island." and "Stewart's Island," and also the island commonly called "The Northern Island," the same having been ceded in sovereignty to Her Majesty:

Now therefore, I, William Hobson, Lieutenant-Governor of New Zealand, do hereby proclaim and declare to all men that, from and after the date of these presents, the full sovereignty of the islands of page 27 New Zealand, extending from 34° 30' north to 47° 10' south latitude, and between 166° 5' to 179° of east longitude, vests in Her Majesty Queen Victoria, her heirs and successors, for ever.

Given under my hand at Government House, Russell, Bay of Islands, this 21st day of May, in the year of our Lord, 1840.

William Hobson, Lieutenant-Governor.

By His Excellency's command.

Willoughby Shortland,
Colonial Secretary.