Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 12. — Proclamation by His Excellency William Hobson, Esq., Lieutenant-Governor of the British Settlements in progress in New Zealand

No. 12.
Proclamation by His Excellency William Hobson, Esq., Lieutenant-Governor of the British Settlements in progress in New Zealand.

Whereas Her Majesty Victoria, Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, has been graciously pleased, by instructions under the hand of the Most Noble the Marquis of Normanby, one of Her Majesty's Principal Secretaries of State, bearing date the 14th day of August, 1839, to command that it shall be notified to all Her Majesty's subjects settled in or resorting to the Islands of New Zealand, that Her Majesty, taking into consideration the present as well as future interests of her said subjects, and also the interests and rights of the chiefs and Native tribes of the said Islands, does not deem it expedient to recognize as valid any titles to land in New Zealand which are not derived from or confirmed by Her Majesty: Now therefore, I, William Hobson, Esq., Captain in Her Majesty's navy, and Lieutenant-Governor in and over such parts of New Zealand as have been or may be acquired in sovereignty by Her said Majesty, do hereby proclaim and declare to all Her Majesty's subjects, that Her Majesty does not deem it expedient to recognize any titles to land in New Zealand which are not derived from or confirmed by Her Majesty as aforesaid; but in order to dispel any apprehension that it is intended to dispossess the owners of any land acquired on equitable conditions, and not in extent or otherwise prejudicial to the present or prospective interests of the community, I do hereby further proclaim and declare, that Her Majesty has been pleased to direct that a Commission shall be appointed, with certain powers, to be derived from the Governor and Legislative Council of New South Wales, to inquire into and report on all claims to such lands, and that all persons having any such claims will be required to prove the same before the said Commission when appointed. And I do further proclaim and declare, that all purchases of land in any part of New Zealand, which may be made from any of the chiefs or Native tribes thereof, after the date of these presents, will be considered as absolutely null and void, and will not be confirmed or in any way recognized by Her Majesty.

Given under my hand and seal, at Kororareka, this 30th day of January, 1840, and in the third year of Her Majesty's reign.

William Hobson,
Lieutenant-Governor.

By His Excellency's command.

George Cooper.

God Save the Queen!