Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Jubilee History of Nelson: From 1842 to 1892.

The Bishop's School

The Bishop's School.

The Church of England school, started shortly after the foundation of the settlement, was taught for some time by the Rev. H. F. Butt. The present Bishop's school was founded by Bishop Selwyn, and its Head Masters have been—the Venerable Archdeacon Butt, the Venerable Archdeacon Lingard, the late Rev. E. H. Gaskin, the Eevs. Govett, Bowden, and Poole, and Mr. Eobert Lee, and the present master, Mr. James H. Harkness, B.A. Religious instruction forms part of the daily course, and scholarships are open to the choristers of the Cathedral.

The building has been enlarged and almost entirely reconstructed during the Episcopate of Bishop Suter.