The Jubilee History of Nelson: From 1842 to 1892.
Gold Discoveries.—Massacre Bay.—The Buller.—Lyell Nuggets —Rush to Hokitika and the Grey.—Mr. Blackett as Warden.—Mr. Kynnersiey. —George Moonlight.—Appointment of Wardens.—Prospecting at the Buller.—Cobden.—Fox's Rush.—Charleston.—Reef ton.—Future Prospects.—Owen.—Brown's Terrace.—Lyell —Visit of Sir George Grey.—Progress of Nelson since his last Visit.—Mr. Curtis elected Superintendent.—West Coast Members of Provincial Council.— General Assembly Elections.—Sir David Monro knighted.—Maungatapu Murders.—Arrival of Bishop Suter.—Opening of the Waterworks. —Death of Mr. Poynter.—Mr. t-harp appointed Resident Magistrate.
Cold had been found in various parts of Massacre Bay as early as 1858. Some time after the Motueka "rush "a bonus of £500 for the discovery of an available goldfield A within the Province had been offered by some Nelson merchants. Mr. W. Hough, who had a firm belief that payable gold existed, made several trips to the Aorere in 1855, but was compelled by ill-health to abandon his prospecting for a time. In December, 1856, he induced Mr. G. W. Lightband, who had gained some experience on the gold-fields of Australia, to accompany him, and these two commenced prospecting in some of the gullies, gold being readily found, but not in paying quantities. Mr. Hough shortly returned to Nelson, leaving Mr. Lightband to prosecute his labours, with the assistance of a. young lad and some Maoris. They continued steadily at work until they had obtained about three ounces of gold, which was forwarded to Nelson. This was the beginning of the development of the rich mineral resources of the Province. Mr. John Ellis and Mr. John James claimed to have found gold at the Aorere in October, 1856, and it was some time before the merit of the discovery was set at rest. The Gold Bonus Committee appointed referees, who, after taking evidence, decided that Messrs. Ellis and James were the discoverers, but that the merits of developing the gold-field belonged to Mr. G. W. Lightband. Many citizens considered Mr. Hough deserved most of the credit, and they presented him with a handsome testimonial.
After Messrs. Hough and Lightband had set to work, another experienced miner, Mr. Donald McGregor, went to the Aorere; and in a letter to the 'Nelson Examiner,' dated the 27th January, 1857, he stated that he had washed over 3ozs. of light scaly gold in four days, about eight miles up the left-hand side of the Aorere river. He found that the gold was heavier near the surface than on the bottom, and expressed an opinion that the country was well worth prospecting. The first sale of page 144gold recorded in Nelson was on the 9th February, 1857, when Messrs. Fell & Co. put up to public competition 5ozs. from the new diggings near Massacre Bay, and 2ozs. obtained at the Moutere. Three and a-half ounces fetched £3 18s per ounce, and one ounce and a-half went as high as £4 5s. per ounce; the two ounces from the Moutere were sold for £8. This sale proved Indisputably that gold existed, and accordingly many persons proceeded from Nelson to the Aorere to ascertain whether there was really a payable field.
As the number of gullies increased, fresh gullies and creeks were discovered, yielding better returns. In one instance three men working on the Slate river obtained one hundred ounces of gold in seven weeks. The little coasting steamer was kept busily employed conveying passengers and cargo to Collingwood, and it was estimated that on the 1st May, 1857, there was 1000 men at work upon the diggings.
There were no police on the ground, or any other officials for some time, but Mr. Lightband drew up a code of regulations, which were adopted at a meeting of the miners, and published in the newspaper; but difficulty was experienced in enforcing them, and everyone dug where he chose without fee or license.
About April, 1857, four vessels were advertised to leave Wellington for Golden Bay (as the Bay was now generally called), and twenty diggers sailed in a vessel named the "Harry;" they were the first who left Wellington to try their luck at these diggings. Of the 1000 men reported to be on the field, 450 were stated to be working in Appoo's gully. Good accounts were received from all parts of the field. One party accumulated lOOozs. during eight weeks' work; two men got 20ozs. in five weeks; and one party obtained Sozs. in four days. In Bedstead gully the gold was coarse, and not in the least water-worn: it was as rugged as if it had been dropped from the rock into the position in which it was found. In May, Mr. McGregor reported that he and his party had found payable ground between the second and third branch rivers of the Aorere, twenty or thirty miles from the Port of Collingwood, and that the indications all round were very good.
In June, Mr. James Mackay, who returned from a gold-exploring expedition to the Quartz ranges, reported that his party had been very fortunate: they had discovered a field about three miles square, and had found gold in every gully. The new digging were going on steadily, and new gullies were being opened out every day. There was a rush to the Slate river, where 300 men had set to work. Large-sized gold, mixed with the river gravel, was generally found under the large boulders.
The narrow tongue of land at the entrance to the Aorere river was cut up into allotments by its owner, and named after him Gibbs' Town. Erections of all kinds, from the calico tent page 145to the smart hotel or th.3 merchant's store, rapidly sprung up in the new township, diggers were constantly coming and going, and the place looked so busy, many thought it would become a rival to Nelson.
Up to the first week in August the total value of the gold sold in Nelson was upwards of £10,000, and in ten days l,200ozs. were sold, irrespective of the quantities taken away privately by parties to other places. On Saturday. 8th August, the "Tasmanian Maid" arrived in Nelson with 500ozs., 144ozs. of which belonged to one party. On Wednesday, 19th August, the "Louis and Miriam" sailed for Sydney, and took away over l,700ozs. of gold.
The natives had secured most of the payable claims along the liver, and, as there were no regulations, troubles were feared. Large numbers of men from Wellington were flocking to the field every week, and on the 29th October the "Wonga Wonga" brought from Melbourne fifty diggers, who had come to Welling ton by the brig "Drover," several of them being accompanied by their families. The yields continued steadily increasing, and on 24th October the "Ocean Queen" sailed for Sydney with nearly 2,500ozs. of gold.
The Provincial Government laid out the township of Collingwood; and soon after a Resident Magistrate and Warden was appointed, a staff of police sent down, and a Court-house, Gaol, and Custom-house erected, and a Sub-Collector of Customs permanently stationed there.
Other discoveries were made, but as winter approached the expense of transporting provisions from the port (owing to the want of roads) became very serious, and as the floodsin the rivers at this period destroyed the dams and other works of the diggers, many of them became disheartened and left the place. The population and yield of gold steadily dwindled down, and up to the present time the goldfield has never regained its former population.
These returns do not take into account the gold which was taken away privately.
At the present time there are only about 100 men at work, but there are still large tracts of auriferous country which have scarcely been tested, and in the opinion of experienced miners there are quite as rich patches yet to be worked as those which yielded such rich returns during the rush.
Quartz machinery has been erected for various Companies from time to time, but the reefs did not prove payable. The only registered Quartz-mining Company at present working is the Johnston's United Company at Bedstead gully, ten miles from Collingwood, from which some good returns have lately been obtained, and of the future success of which there is strong, hope.
On 17th April, 1858, the 'Nelson Examiner' announced the discovery of gold at the Buller. A West Coast chief, Tarapuhi, and his brother, Tainui, returned to Canterbury with Mr. Lee, who had taken up the first run on the West Coast. They brought specimens of small scaly gold with them, stating that the gold had been brought down in great quantities from a hill called Whakapoi, on the north side of the Buller river, and that it could be found in abundance.
The existence of gold on the West Coast had been known to the Maoris for some years, but nothing payable had been found by them; in fact most of them were ignorant of its value until after the opening of the Buller diggings.
Mr. Rochfort s report upon the gold-bearing sands of the creeks and tributaries of the Buller got abroad, and as early as 1860 parties of miners began to arrive in search of gold. Many of them returned dissatisfied, but others remained and steadily prospected the country. This resulted in die opening of the Lyell goldfield in 1862.
Other parties of miners found their way overland from Nelson to the Tiraumea, and from thence to the Mangles and Mataldtaki, where considerable quantities of gold were obtained. The Mangles was especially rich in pockets of nuggetty gold. At the Lyell nuggets of all sizes up to ninety ounces were obtained, whilst throughout the watershed of the Buller gold had been found in many places.
Then came the rush, in 1864-5, to Hokitika and the Grey. Thousands of ounces of gold were regularly brought to Nelson, and thousands of men were scattered in all directions looking for fresh deposits of the precious metal. Gold was found in several of the tributaries of the Grey, and the diggings on the Nelson side rapidly spread over a large extent of country, and from all good returns were reported.
Nelson profited greatly; a market was opened for all the farming produce of the district; and that market was commanded page 147by the Nelson markets. There was no overland route to Christ-church, and the bulk of the gold obtained on the coast passed through Nelson. The Anchor line of steamers was started by Messrs. N. Edwards & Co., including the "Nelson," which having been floated off the Grey beach, returned to Nelson, and was sold by the Trustees of the Nelson Trust Funds to the above firm for £3,500.
The first township formed on the diggings within the Province of Nelson was at the Twelve-mile Landing, and here Mr. Blaekett, the Provincial Engineer, armed with ample powers, having been sent down by the Superintendent to act as Warden, established himself.
Whilst on the Canterbury side of the Grey, complaints were loud and frequent of the neglect of the Government, and the irritating delays that occurred before the local officers could obtain authority for the construction of the most ordinary work, the Nelson Government, said to be proverbial for its sleepiness, was wide-awake enough to set a good example in vesting its resident officer with sufficient powers to enable him to meet the emergencies which naturally arise in the early days of a mining community; and the Government of Nelson were fortunate in possessing so efficient an officer at the Grey as Mr. Blaekett. The Superintendent understood his value, and wisely gave him for a time a perfectly free hand. A wise use was made of the powers entrusted to him. He opened up the country by tracks in any direction which seemed likely to lead to payable ground, and he pushed on such works as were immediately necessary in a prompt if unostentatious manner. His duties as Provincial Engineer would not permit of his remaining as Warden at the Grey; and to the general regret he retired from that position, and was succeeded by Mr. T. A. Sneyd Kynnersley, who had held a similar position with much satisfaction to the public at Wakamarina.
Thomas Alfred Sneyd-Kynnersley began life as a midshipman in the Eoyal Navy. Having reached the rank of Lieutenant, his health broke down through the rupture of a blood-vessel in the lungs. Possessed of a naturally active spirit, he sought and obtained public employment; his first public position being that, as mentioned, of Warden and Eesidenc Magistrate at Wakamarina. Mr. Saunders the Superintendent of Nelson, discovered in him such administrative power as led him to appoint him as Warden and Commissioner for the Government at the Grey, in succession to Mr. Blaekett. Here he soon made a name for himself as an officer of great energy and ability. His duties were in time extended to the whole of the Nelson South-west Goldfields, and, during a time of great social and political excitement, he displayed such force of character and right judgment, as earned for him, in the long run, the hearty respect and esteem of men of all creeds, countries, and shades of political opinion. page 148His constitution was not strong enough to stand the rough work, and a falling revenue induced the Provincial Council, against the wish of Mr. Curtis, who had succeeded Mr. Saunders, to curtail some of his discretionary powers in the expenditure of public money. This was distasteful to him. He gave up his appointment, and was elected to both the House of Representatives and Provincial Council. Failing health compelled him to retire, and after a trip to England, undertaken in the vain hope of restoring his health, he returned to Nelson, where he died on the 1st February, 1874, at the house of his friend, Mr. James Sclanders, leaving behind many earnest and sorrowing friends, and universally lamented on the goldfields. Before long a handsome monument was erected over his remains in the Nelson cemetery by his many friends and admirers on the West Coast.
Prospecting parties were out in various directions, and the discovery of new diggings was frequent. Amongst those who went on a prospecting tour were George Moonlight and his mates who went up the river by boat, and having the reputation of being successful prospectors, they were narrowly watched. Numbers of men followed on their track, and others camped close to the Warden's office to watch the return of any of the party, in hopes of being first to see if they applied for a prospecting claim. At last Moonlight and some of his mates returned, and the town was all alive at once. They applied to the Warden for and obtained a prospecting claim, and all the "unemployed" went off to the new rush. Moonlight's own name did not appear in the grant of the prospecting claim, because, being well known in various parts of New Zealand, he feared many might be induced to come to a place which, as yet, had turned out nothing to justify a large influx of people.
George Moonlight was a type of the true miner—hopeful always, fearless, and lighthearted; honest as the day; kind to the weak and suffering; not quick to take offence, but ready at any time to defend himself, if need be, with his strong right arm; and one who in following his favourite pursuit of prospecting for gold no difficulties could daunt. His remains were found on 16th September, 1884, in the Hope bush. He had been lost since the previous June, having gone off by himself on a prospecting tour from the Lake run. He was buried in the Nelson cemetery, where a monument has been erected to the memory of the brave prospector.
The diggings continued to extend, especially towards the Buller. In November, 1865, the sand on the sea beach was discovered to be payably auriferous, and in a very short time the beach to the north of the Grey was taken up for miles. At this time Mr. Alfred Greenfield, Mr. T. A. Sneyd Kynnersley, and Mr. G. W. Lightband were gazetted as Wardens for page 149the Nelson South-west Gold-fields; the first named to act for Wangapeka, and the two latter for the Grey.
In December a considerable demand sprang up for town allotments at Westport, nearly eighty quarter-acre allotments having been sold by the Government within a fortnight.
The mining population appeared to be steadily moving towards the Buller; several parties had left Greymouth for Westport, and men were known to be at work as far north as Mokihinui. Of those who landed at the Buller some intended prospecting at the head of the Inangahua, whilst others were going to try the beach and neighbouring gullies.
The town of Cobden, at the mouth of the Grey, was laid out, and a wharf erected 250 feet long by 25 feet wide. From the wharf to the beach a mile of dray road was formed, drained, bridged, and metalled through the densely-wooded, rugged, and swampy country; and the cross streets were cleared. A court-house, a store-house, a lock-up, and a substantial bonded store, including an office for the postmaster, were erected. By April, 1866, the Nelson Government had opened up 115 miles of tracks on the Grey gold-fields, 61 miles of which were available for horses.
In his opening speech to the Provincial Council on the 13th March, 1866, the Superintendent said:—"Not less than 6,000 persons are now occupied in gold-mining pursuits within this Province, and the population for which you have to legislate is probably greater by fifty per cent than that which has demanded the consideration of any previous Council in Nelson." His Honor then went on to state "that having satisfied himself, by personal inspection, that a large gold-mining population could be maintained for many years, he had not hesitated to take upon himself the responsibility of promptly expending all the revenue derived from the goldfields in the construction of roads and such other permanent improvements as were calculated to render them accessible and attractive; and in the maintenance of such wardens, constables, and other officers as appeared indispensable for the preservation of order, and security of life and property."
By April, 1866, it was calculated that Nelson was receiving revenue at the rate of £40,000 a year from the West Coast.
In May, 1866, came the rush to Fox's river. The prospector was the same William Fox who opened up the Arrow river diggings, which were first called Fox's. Fox came down to the Grey and reported to Mr. Kynnersley that he had already spent some time in prospecting the district, and had found a good deal of ground that would pay from £4 to £8 per week; but that, from the difficulty of obtaining supplies, and the impossibility of carrying any bulky tools or materials along the beach, the auriferous-capabilities of the country could not be thoroughly tested unless the necessary supplies could be landed on the spot. By page 150November about 3,000 men were scattered over the district. Within a short time valuable discoveries were made at Charleston, Addison's Flat, and at Caledonian, German, Giles', and Rochfort's terraces. Rich leads were found at all these places, and such extensive rushes set in that within two or three years after the first discoveries there were about 20,000 miners on the field, and many fortunes were made in a short time.
The Government determined on making Westport the headquarters on the Coast, and most of the staff were removed from Cobden.
Charleston was originally known as the Pakihi. Payable gold was first discovered by Linahan and party in August, 1866, and shortly after at Welshman's Terrace, Brighton, by a party of Welshmen. Addison's Flat, formerly known as Waite's Pakihis, was named after Addison, a coloured man, who found gold there in May, 1867, but a few miners were getting gold some months previously on the Cement lead. After Addison's discovery a rush set in, and about 8000 people flocked to the Flat.
On 1st April, 1868, the West Coast districts were under the charge of four Wardens, who were kept busy. The Westport division, including Addison's Flat, Upper Buller, Caledonian Terrace, Wairnangaroa, and Mokihinui, was under the charge of Dr. Giles (now Resident Magistrate at Auckland). The Warden of the Brighton division (about 30 miles in length) was the late Mr. Charles Broad. Charleston was in charge of Mr. Warden G. W. Lightband; and the Grey, of Mr. J. Roger Dutton. The Collingwood goldfield had dwindled down to a very small population, and Mr. H. W. Turnell, a medical man, acted as Warden, and in divers other capacities.
By 1st April, 1869, the combined total population of Charleston and Brighton district had fallen to 2500. Mr. Lightband had resigned, and one Warden had charge of both districts. By 31st March, 1870, the population had further decreased to 1150.
Mr. Dutton resigned his position as Warden of the Grey district, and was succeeded by Mr. Lowe, C.E., who in 1870 was succeeded by the late Mr. Caleb Whitefoord. The population at that time was estimated at 4410, including 150 at Inangahua.
The limits within which this work must be confined preclude the possibility of tracing in detail the gradual development of the vast mineral resources of the West Coast. A most interesting work could be written—and there is plenty of material for it—of the history of these gold-fields; but so far as dry statements of facts and statistical information are concerned, all these can be found in the excellent "Handbook of New Zealand Mines," published under the authority of the New Zealand Government.
The abolition of the Provinces and the establishment of County Councils and other public bodies, changed the relations page 151of the goldfields with what may be called the parent body. The effect of the gold discoveries solved one of the difficulties with which Mr. Saunders began his second term as Superintendent. If the revenue from the sale of land at Amuri fell off, it was for some years made up by the increase of Goldfields' and Customs' revenue.
The development of the Nelson goldfields has been remarkable. It is also full of promise for the future. Reefton is the centre of a large area of mineral country, which is known to contain, in addition to immense quantities of gold-bearing quartz, coal, antimony, and other minerals. The first quartz claim in the district was taken up by Mr. "Westfield in 1870, who applied for some ground at Murray creek. Since then considerably more than a million pounds worth of gold has been obtained from the quartz reefs alone, and the value of the alluvial gold obtained in the same time has been estimated at half a million. The large area of country in which auriferous quartz has been discovered, and the treatment of the ores by modern scientific appliances, should tend to justify the belief that the Inangahua district is destined to become one of the most valuable and permanent goldfields in the Colony.
If the Owen reefs have so far proved disappointing, there are such large quantities of gold-bearing stone that it is hoped and believed, as time goes on, scientists will discover some cheap and payable method of treating the stone. Gold-bearing rock at the Owen was first reported by Mr. Higgin in 1864. He brought a specimen of conglomerate to town, from which some very satisfactory assay tests were obtained.
At Brown's terrace, near Charleston, where there are immense deposits of gold-bearing cement, machinery of the most approved and latest kind is to be erected for treating these cements on a large scale. It is estimated that two penny-weights to the ton would give the shareholders very substantial dividends. The experiment will be watched with much interest, as, it successful, it may lead to altogether new developments in mining.
Lyell, once famous for its output of "big nuggets," has not of late turned out much alluvial gold, although that kind of mining has not been abandoned, by any means. Some of the quartz mines have proved highly remunerative. But at present the United Alpine Company, which has paid some £40,000 in dividends, is the only large quartz-mine in what can be called full working order; but it is known that in the district are payable reefs, which, owing to the inaccessible nature of the country, cannot at present be worked. Eoads, capital, and scientific machinery will, in time, overcome all difficulties.
The trade and commerce of Nelson were enormously stimulated by the gold discoveries on her western territories, and the page 152prosecution of public works was rendered possible both on the goldfields and in the settled districts, through the increase of the public revenues, consequent upon the settling of the West Coast.
In April, 1867, the Governor visited Nelson. Sir George Grey's first visit was in April, 1847; he came again in 1851 and in 1853. The progress of the settlement during the fourteen years which had passed since his last visit impressed him forcibly. In 1853 Nelson, then one of the undivided provinces, had a population of only 5100 inhabitants. Its revenue then, ordinary and territorial, was but £9000. There was no wharf at the Port; the roads and streets were mainly pathways and poorly finished tracks; the country districts were reached through miry and illformed roads. There was no public hall in the city of any description; and the principal streets showed few decent buildings. In 1867 Nelson, one of eight provinces, had a population of 23,000 people, exclusive of Marlborough, which in 1853 formed part of her territory. Towns had sprung up on the West' Coast, and the steady energy of the miners, and the commercial enterprise they brought in their train, were rapidly changing the face of what was but lately a wilderness. The nett revenue of the Province had nearly reached £120,000. In twelve months about 300,000 ounces of gold were exported from the port of Greymouth, the largest portion being the produce of the Nelson Province.
In the City, and the older parts of the Province, there were evidences of steady progress. The maritime conveniences at the Port were steadily growing; and a fine lighthouse beamed on the waters of the bay. Streets had sprung up with large and tasteful buildings; there were three large and spacious halls; a system of education which placed the elements of instruction within the reach of nearly every child; the people were well fed, and many were possessed of properties saved up by provident frugality; a system of waterworks for the City was ready to be laid; several substantial bridges spanned the Maitai for the convenience of the citizens; and the more dangerous rivers in the country had been also bridged. Lastly, while other Provinces were groaning under debt, Nelson had £15,000 lying at interest to pay off the largest share of its moderate debt when the debentures fell in.
Nelson settlers felt a pardonable pride that such signs of progress should be witnessed by his Excellency, who indeed at the banquet given in his honor, referred in eloquent terms to the interesting and remarkable changes that had taken place since he first visited in Nelson twenty years before.
On the 28th of the previous month, Mr. Oswald Curtis had been elected Superintendent in the stead of Mr. Saunders, who resigned, intending to visit England. At each succeeding election Mr. Curtis was again returned, and he continued to be Superintendent until the Provinces were abolished.page 153
The "West Coast Goldfields first returned members to the Provincial Council in April, 1867, when Mr. James Bentley was elected for the Buller, and Mr. George Donne for Cobden.
At the General Assembly elections held in February, 1866, the following members had been returned to represent the Nelson Districts:—Nelson—E. W. Stafford and Oswald Curtis; Suburbs of Nelson—William Wells; Waimea—A. R. Oliver; Motueka— C. Parker; Collingwood—A. J. Richmond. No representation had as yet been granted to the inhabitants of the South-west Gold Fields.
In May the news was received that Her Majesty had been pleased to confer the honor of knighthood upon Sir David Monro, who was at the time Speaker of the House of Representatives.
The Maungatapu murders took place in June, 1866. It was a criminal episode of a very shocking character, but has no historical interest. Those who care to read the details of this awful crime—how four poor fellows, named Felix Mathieu, John Kempthorne James Dudley, and James Pontius, were waylaid on the Maungatapu, and foully done to death by a gang of murderers, consisting of Richard Burgess, Thomas Kelly, Joseph Thomas Sullivan, and William Levy, who were caught, tried, and hanged—can read them all in the papers of the period. They have also been published in pamphlet form in full.
On Thursday, 26th September, 1867 Bishop and Mrs. Suter arrived by the "Cissy." His Lordship was accompanied by the Revs. Ewald, Harvey, Thorpe, and Mules. The ship also brought out a number of emigrants, specially selected by the Bishop. They were chiefly domestic servants, all of whom obtained employment at good wages.
In October, Mr. Curtis visited the West Coast, accompanied by Mr. John Sharp, Provincial Treasurer, and Mr. Barnicoat, Speaker of the Provincial Council, Mr. Burn, M.P.C., and Mr. Pitt, M.P.C. At one of the banquets given to the visitors, Mr. Sharp stated that the Government had already expended £55,000 in necessary works on the West Coast.
Thursday, April 16th, 1867, is a red-letter day in the history of the City's progress, for on that day the Nelson waterworks were formally inaugurated. The whole of the works were designed by Mr. John Blackett, Provincial Engineer, and were carried out under his superintendence. They cost less than the estimated sum of £20,000. The idea of taking the water from the Brook street stream seems to have originated in 1858 or 1859 with Mr. Norgrove, a member of the Board of Works, and Mr. Alfred Dodson drew up a plan of Mr. Norgrove's scheme. The opening of the waterworks was celebrated by a procession to the reservoir, where a speech was made by the Superintendent; a prayer specially written for the occasion read by the Bishop; and a hymn, also composed by the Bishop, was sung. A luncheon page 154was afterwards given in the Provincial Hall, to which about 150 sat down. There was some not unreasonable growling, that while a costly luncheon was provided at the public expense for a select few, there was no beef or beer for the outside public.
On 30th June, 1868, Mr. John Poynter retired from the position of Eesident Magistrate of Nelson, and was succeeded by Mr. John Sharp. Mr. Poynter died on the 30th August following. He was one of the first emigrants who landed on the shores of Blind Bay, having arrived in the "Fifeshire" on the 1st February, 1842. He was, too, the purchaser of the wreck of that vessel; and, like many of the early settlers, underwent numerous vicissitudes. He filled many important public offices. His first appointment was that of Crown Prosecutor, which office he resigned on being appointed Resident Magistrate in 1854, in succession to Major Richmond. He also filled at various times the offices of Colonial Sub-Treasurer, Provincial Treasurer, Commissioner of Native Reserves, Registrar of Marriages, Registrar of Joint Stock Companies, and local Commissioner of Stamps. He was also a local director of the Union Bank.
Mr. Poynter was a man of kindly disposition, peculiarly easy in temper, liberal and open-handed.page break