Typo: A Monthly Newspaper and Literary Review, Volume 4
The Auckland Press
The Auckland Press.
On the occasion of the Eight Hours' Demonstration in Auckland on the 9th inst., the Herald distributed a sheet containing a brief history of the Auckland newspaper press, compiled by one of the staff. It is too long for us to quote in full, and does not profess to be complete—in fact to prepare a complete list would probably be impossible. The compiler has kindly sent us a copy, also the names of several papers omitted from the list. We give the names and dates from the article, with two or three corrections, and with a few additional names, supplied by Mr W. Smith, of Wellington, an old Auckland printer. The comments, in most cases, are our own.
New Zealand Advertiser and Bay of Islands Gazette, May, 1840, weekly, published by J. A. Eager and Co., Turner Terrace, Bank Square, Kororareka.
Bay of Islands Examiner, weekly; established June, 1840; discontinued, 1841.
New Zealand Government Gazette. First issued in December, 1840, from the Church Missionary Society's printing office, Paihia.
New Zealand Herald and Auckland Gazette, started on 10th July, 1841, and discontinued in the April following. Printed by John Moore, for the Auckland Newspaper Company. First newspaper printed in Auckland.
Auckland Chronicle and New Zealand Colonist (same printer); started about July, 1842, price one shilling. Ceased publication the same year; revived in October, 1842, and continued till July, 1843; again revived for a short time, and died at end of 1843.
Auckland Times (same printer), started August, 1841, and was published by John Falwasser. This is the celebrated paper that was printed in a mangle, and copies are now highly prized as curiosities.
The Auckland Herald was in existence in November, 1841. No particulars obtainable.
Te Karere o Niu Tireni (the Maori Messenger), semi-official, English and Maori. No. 1 appeared on 1st Jan., 1842; No. 3 on the 1st March, 1855. (We remember the Karere about 1858. It was then printed in an old and curious French type, imported by the Roman Catholic mission some twenty years before, and which had passed into the possession of the New-Zealander.)
Bay of Islands Observer, weekly; started February, 1842, and died in the following year. Edited, printed, and published by J. Norman.
Auckland Standard. From 27th June to 25th August, 1842.
Bay of Islands Advocate, weekly, one shilling, established October, 1843. Printed by Benjamin Isaacs, at John-street, Kororareka.
Southern Cross, New Zealand Guardian, and Auckland, Thames, and Bay of Islands Advertiser, weekly, established April, 1843. Printed by Philip Kunst and G. E. Hunter, Shortland Crescent. In 1863 published daily—the second daily in the colony (the Otago Daily Times being the first.) Continued till 1876.
New-Zealander, started 7th June, 1845, weekly, price sixpence, by the late John Williamson, Shortland Crescent. At one time the leading newspaper of the colony. Ceased publication in 1865, after a long decline.
Anglo-Maori Warder, weekly, a short-lived paper, started in April, 1848. Printed by Williamson and Wilson.
Antipodean, published in 1849 by Mr Hart, auctioneer. Only a few numbers, « about the size of a sheet of note-paper. »
Auckland Independent and Operatives' Journal, fortnightly. Started in May, 1851, by the late John Richardson. It had but a very brief existence.
Auckland Weekly Register, an offshoot of the New Zealander. Edited by David Burn, and printed by A. H. Burton, now well-known as a photographer. Discontinued January, 1860. (? We think it lasted till 1861 or 1862.)
Auckland Temperance Telegraph, fortnightly, sixpence, November, 1854. Printed by Williamson and Wilson. Did not complete its first year.
The Trumpeter, 1855; John Richardson, Wyndham-street. A gratis advertising-sheet, but a creditable production.
Telegraph, High-street, Auckland. Printed in 1859 by James Hosking, formerly a Wes-leyan minister.
Auckland Examiner, weekly, founded at end of 1856, by Charles Southwell, lecturer and tragedian. He died 7th August, 1860, and the paper was carried on by James Hosking, until the plant was sold to the
Aucklander, established and edited by Mr James Busby, a pioneer in the ante-colonial days, and at one time British Resident. [The article gives 1867 as the date of establish-ment, but we think this is some years too late. We would place the life-time of the paper (from memory) at about 1861.]
Farmers' Gazette, weekly, issued in 1861, after the discontinuance of the Aucklander, from the same office, by Joseph Rogers and William Payne. It survived about three months.
Onehunga Guardian, started early in the sixties by James Hosking. Discontinued in 1863.
Independent, started about 1863, and soon discontinued. Printed and edited by John Moore, Queen-street.
Weekly News, started in 1863 in connexion with the Daily Southern Cross. This paper, which is now published by the Herald proprietors, is one of the leading weekly newspapers of the colony.
New Zealand Herald, founded by Mr W. C. Wilson (formerly one of the proprietors of the New Zealander) in 1863. This paper was successful almost from the start, and in 1876 absorbed its rival, the old - established Southern Cross. Had the old title been retained it might now claim to be the senior newspaper in New Zealand. It has become one of the largest and most enterprising daily newspapers in the colony.
Albertland Gazette, and Oruawharo, Paparoa, Matakoke, Kaipara, and Mangawai Chronicle. August, 1863. Printed by Samuel Johnson (now of Waipawa, Hawke's Bay), at Market-street, Port Albert. It did not last very long.
Chapman's New Zealand Magazine, 8vo., monthly. A very creditable literary serial; was started by Mr G. T. Chapman, bookseller, in 1861 or 1862. Some of its articles on early history of the colony, by pioneer settlers now passed away, were valuable as well as interesting. Printed at the Cross office. It was not financially successful, and in 1863 was succeeded by the
Southern Monthly Magazine, edited by Mr H. H. Lusk and Dr. Giles. The magazine was ably conducted, and lasted three years. The native troubles of the time were against the success of any purely literary venture, and the undertaking was abandoned.
Neu-Seelændische Zeitung, Politiche und Gelehrte Wochenliche Zeitschrift. 18th March, 1865 to August of same year.
Penny Journal, weekly, started in 1865 by Mitchell and Seffern. Printed from the old types of the New-Zealander. Did not long survive.
Auckland Free Press, March, 1868. Started by R. J. Creighton, in conjunction with some of the old Cross staff. Succumbed to the prevailing depression.
Evening News (first evening paper in Auckland.) Started in 1868 by James Allen, jun., but after his death taken up by James Allen, sen. Discontinued in 1871, and succeeded by the
Morning News; but the paper, like its predecessor, strongly opposed Vogel's borrowing proposals, with which the public at the time were dazzled; its predictions of crushing taxation in the future were ridiculed, and it shared the common fate of prophets of evil.
Auckland Daily News, November, 1869. Edited by the late Henry Ellis, and printed by W. Atken, High-street. Started to support the late Judge Gillies as candidate for superintendency of the province, and discontinued soon after the election.
Auckland Evening Star, started in 1870 by G. M. Reed and—Farrar. Shortly afterwards H. Brett, of the Herald staff, bought Farrar's share, and in time bought out Reed, becoming sole proprietor. On Mr Reed's retirement the sub-editor, Mr T. W. Leys, succeeded to the editorship, and has filled that position ever since. The Star is now a valuable property. The Evening News and Morning News were incorporated with the Star, as also was
The Echo, started in opposition to the Star by Mr George Jones, jun., who managed and edited the paper. Mr H. H. Lusk was a leader-writer on the paper, which was backed by Mr J. S, Macfarlane, a capitalist who at various times put a great deal of money into newspapers started to support certain objects in which he was interested. About £3000 was sunk in the Echo.
Morning Advertiser, started in 1871 by Shaw, of Hokitika; edited by J. M. Perrier. Lasted about a year.
New Zealand Volunteer Gazette and Colonial Forces Record. Published by Jones and Tombs, 1872, for the proprietors, E. H. Fenton and R. J. Morrissey.
Templar Standard (afterwards called the Templar Columns), H. Field, proprietor, 1874-76.
Volunteer News and Army and Navy Gazette, 1876. Dignan & King.
Auckland Free Press, weekly. Started by John Brame, now of New South Wales, in 1878 and lasted till 1878. (? 1878-88.)
Christian Times, 1870-79. Published by E. Wayte for the proprietors, Rev. T. Warlow Davis and H. Baxter.
Free Lance, 1878, a « society » weekly, started and edited by J. D. Wickham. Afterwards merged in
The Observer, started in September, 1880, by A. S. Rathbone. Has several times changed hands, and is now published by Kelly and Baulf.
Labor Advocate, 1880, published by George Trist, proprietor.
New Zealand Muse, Francis Octavien Cailliau, proprietor, 1880. In French and English. Printed by Albin Villeval.
Freeman's Journal, weekly. Irish Land League organ, established in 1880, and lasted about seven years. Succeeded in 1887 by thepage 134
Advocate, which died after lingering for a few months.
Labour, a weekly, 1884-5, succeeded by The Watchman, 1885-6.
Telephone (evening paper), started by M. Morris, and after a very brief existence incorporated with the
Auckland Evening Bell. This was another capitalist speculation, Mr S. Jagger, a wealthy brewer, being the chief shareholder. Edited by G. M. Reed; started 12th May, 1885. After a three years' struggle, and a loss of £10,000, it succumbed.
Little Pink 'Un, 1885. A sporting organ. Died in infancy.
Truth, 1885. Published by H. J. Hughes and Henry Tyes.
Newtown Bulletin. Started by David Geddis, 1885-88.
Spectator. Started in 1885 by N. Forde (now of N.S.W.) and W. H. Romayne. Perished in its first year.
Waitemata Messenger. Started in 1886 by G. E. Alderton. Only lived a few weeks.
Newton Echo, a miserably-printed and edited weekly sheet, started by Morgan Morris. Only a few numbers appeared.
Rationalist, freethought weekly. Started in 1886 by a joint-stock company. Printed by F. Christmas, and edited by « Ivo » (Mr Evison, now editor of the Catholic Times.) The paper lasted for a year, but the shareholders' troubles continued a considerable time after, while its affairs were being wound up by the Supreme Court.
The Leader, weekly. Started in 1886 by a company as a temperance and evangelical organ. It is now in private hands, conducted by Mr D. J. Wright, and edited by Mr Ewington. It also took up the championship of « single-tax, » hut has been relieved of that department lately by its monthly off-shoot,
Justice, monthly, a labor paper, and organ of the Anti-Poverty Society.
The Sporting Review, started a few months ago, printed and edited by Mr H. Hayr, is still in the land of the living.
The Tribune, a weekly, (?Nihilist), started on the 18th October, is the latest. It is edited by Mr Arthur Desmond, and undertakes to smash everything. The smash is probably not very far off.