Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Acts Affecting Native Lands, Etc. (In English and Maori), Passed by the General Assembly, Session 1892, 1893, 1897, 1898, 1899.

Acts Affecting Native Lands, Etc. (In English and Maori). Passed by the General Assembly. Sessions I. and II., 1897

page break

Acts Affecting Native Lands, Etc.

(In English and Maori).
Passed by the General Assembly.
Sessions I. and II., 1897.

Contents.

• Native Land Laws Amendment.
  • Kapiti Island Public Reserve.

Wellington. By Authority: John Mackay, Government Printer. 1897.

page break
page break

Acts Affecting Native Lands, Etc.

(In English and Maori).
Passed by the General Assembly.
Sessions I. and II., 1897.

Contents.

• Native Land Laws Amendment.
  • Kapiti Island Public Reserve.

Wellington. By Authority: John Mackay, Government Printer. 1897.

page break page 1

New Zealand.
Analysis.

Title.
1. Short Title.
2. Interpretation of section 13 of "The Native Land Laws Amendment Act, 1895."
3. Natives may convey land to certain trustees.
4. Powers of trustee.
5. Governor in Council may make regulations to give full effect to two last-preceding sections.
6. Native may apply to borrow money on mortgage. Governor in Council may authorise loan.
7. Return of applications for Orders in Council to be laid before Parliament.
8. Validation of deeds made by incorporated bodies of Natives.

1897, No. 25.
Title.An Act to amend "The Native Land Laws Amendment Act, 1896."

[22nd December, 1897.

Be it Enacted by the General Assembly of New Zealand in Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1.short Title. The Short Title of this Act is "The Native Land Laws Amendment Act, 1897."
Interpretation of section 13 of "The Native Land Laws Amendment Act, 1895." Whereas doubts have arisen as to the intention and meaning of section thirteen of "The Native Land Laws Amendment Act, 1895," it is hereby declared that the true intent and meaning of the said section is that a confirmation order under the seal of the Court shall be conclusive evidence that the instrument in respect of which such order is made is not in contravention of section one hundred and seventeen of "The Native Land Court Act, 1894," or of section five of "The Native Land Laws Amendment Act, 1895," but the said section shall not be construed to make or to have made any such instrument effectual in respect of the contravention of any other statutory provision or rule of law whatsoever:

Provided that in order to afford opportunity of relief to persons who may have been misled as to the true meaning of the said section thirteen, and as to other claims for validation, "the thirty-first day of March, one thousand eight hundred and ninety-eight," is hereby substituted for "the thirty-first day of March, one thousand eight hundred and ninety-seven," in section sixteen of "The Native Land Laws Amendment Act, 1896."

3.Natives may convey land to certain trustees. Any Native or Natives, whether incorporated or otherwise, owning land under title of any description may convey the same, or any defined part thereof, by way of trust to the Surveyor-General or the page 2Commissioner of Crown Lands for the district in which such land is situate, or to some other fit person appointed by the Governor in Council, upon such terms as to sale, leasing, managing, improving, and raising money upon the same as may be agreed upon between the parties or as may be declared by the Governor in Council; and the Surveyor-General, or Commissioner of Crown Lands, or other person as aforesaid (hereinafter called "the trustee"), is hereby authorised and empowered to accept such trust: Provided that where there is more than one owner all the owners must execute the necessary deed of conveyance, and the whole block so owned, or a defined part thereof, must pass thereby.
4.Powers of trustee. With respect to any land which is duly conveyed as aforesaid to the trustee, the following provisions shall apply:—
(1.) The trustee, at the request of the Native owners, or of a majority in number of them, or if authorised in that behalf by the deed of trust, may borrow money upon the security of the land to such extent and on such terms in all respects as he thinks fit, and may apply the net proceeds of the money so borrowed in or towards discharging encumbrances on the land or on any other land of the same Native owners, or in surveying, opening up, and generally improving any such land.
(2.) The trustee may execute valid and effectual instruments of mortgage or charge of the land as security for the money so borrowed, and such instruments may contain all such powers and provisions as he thinks fit, or as are prescribed by regulations under this Act.
(3.) For the purposes of this section, the Public Trustee may, if he is satisfied with the security, lend money out of any funds under his control and available for investment, and in any case where he lends money on the security of land which has been conveyed as aforesaid to himself as the trustee he may himself execute in his own favour the necessary instrument of mortgage or charge.
5.Governor in Council may make regulations to give full effect to two last-preceding sections. For the purpose of giving full effect to the provisions of this and the two last-preceding sections hereof, the Governor in Council may from time to time make such regulations as he deems necessary, and may also exempt any land from all or any of the restrictions, limitations, or provisions of "The Native Land Court Act, 1894," or any other Act affecting Native lands or lands owned or held by Natives.
6.Native may apply to borrow money on mortgage. Irrespective of the provisions hereinbefore contained, it is hereby enacted as follows:—
(1.) On the application of any Native owning land in severalty who desires to borrow money from any lending department of the Government on mortgage of his land, the Native Land Court, if satisfied of the fact, may give him a certificate that, irrespective of the land he proposes to mortgage, he possesses other land sufficient for his maintenance.
(2.)Governor in Council may authorise loan. Upon such certificate being given, the Governor in Council may authorise such Native to mortgage the land to any page 3such lending department as aforesaid, and in such case the mortgage shall operate in all respects as if the mortgagor were other than a Native, and accordingly none of the restrictions, limitations, or provisions of "The Native Land Act, 1894," or any other Act affecting Native lands or lands owned or held by Natives, shall apply, anything in any such Act to the contrary notwithstanding.
(3.) For the purposes of this section "lending department of the Government" includes—
(a.) The Public Trust Office;
(b.) The Government Insurance Office;
(c.) The Commissioner of Public Debts Sinking Funds Office;
(d.) Such other lending departments as the Governor in Council from time to time names in this behalf.
(4.) The Governor in Council may from time to time make such regulations as he deems necessary in order to give effect to this section, and in and by such regulations may increase the amount which any such lending department is at present authorised to lend on any one security or to any one Native borrower.
7.Return of applications for Orders in Council to be laid before Parliament. A return of all applications for the issue of Orders in Council under any of the foregoing provisions of this Act, specifying such as have been granted and refused respectively, and, in case of refusal, the reasons for such refusal, shall be laid before both Houses of Parliament within thirty days after the commencement of each session.
8.Validation of deeds. made by incorporated bodies of Natives. All deeds already made by incorporated bodies of Natives to Natives disposing of portions of the estate belonging to such corporation by their committee properly appointed under Part II. of "The Native Land Court Act, 1894," shall be valid and effectual for all purposes whatsoever when assented to in writing by the Commissioner of Crown Lands for the district in which such land is situate, and the Commissioner may give such assent in any case where, after inquiry, he is of opinion that the disposition is equitable and should be given effect to.
page break
page 1

Niu Tireni.
Ture Whakatikatika I Nga Ture Whenua Maori.

He Ture hei whakatikatika i "Te Ture Whakatikatika 1896 i nga Ture Whenua Maori."

Ka Meinga Hei Ture e te Runanga Nui o Niu Tireni e noho huihui ana i roto i te Paremete, i runga ano i tona mana, ara:—

1.Te Ingoa Poto o tenei Ture ko "Te Ture Whakatikatika 1897 i nga Ture Whenua Maori."

Notemea kua puta he awangawanga mo te aronga me te tino tikanga o te tekiona tekau ma toru o "Te Ture Whakatikatika, 1895, i nga Ture Whenua Maori," na reira ka kiia i konei ko te tino aronga me te tino tikanga o taua tekiona koia tenei, ara, ko ia ota whakatuturu i whakaputaina i raro i te hiiri o te Kooti ka kiia he tino tohu tera ko te pukapuka tuku, e pangia ana e taua ota, kaore i te takahi i nga tikanga o te tekiona kotahi rau tekau ma whitu o "Te Ture Kooti Whenua Maori, 1894," o te tekiona rima ranei o "Te Ture Whakatikatika 1895 i nga Ture Whenua Maori," engari kaua taua tekiona e whakamana i taua tu pukapuka tuku mehemea kua takahia etahi atu Ture etahi atu tikanga ranei, ahakoa pehea, o te ture.

Engari kia takoto ai he huarahi e taea ai te whakaora nga tangata i pohehe ki te tino tikanga o taua tekiona tekau ma toru, a mo etahi atu tono hoki kia whakamana, kua whakaurua enei kupu "te toru tekau ma tahi o nga ra o Maehe, kotahi mano e waru rau e iwa tekau ma waru" hei whakapi mo enei kupu "te toru tekau ma tahi o nga ra o Maehe, kotahi mano e waru rau e iwa tekau ma whitu" o roto o te tekiona tekau ma ono o "Te Ture Whakatikatika, 1896, i nga Ture Whenua Maori."

3. Ka ahei tetahi Maori etahi Maori ranei, ahakoa kua oti ratou te whakakaporeihana kaore ranei, a he whenua tona to ratou ranei ahakoa pewhea nga take ki te whenua, ki te tuku atu i taua whenua, page 2i tetahi wahi ranei o taua whenua kua ata wehea taua wahi, ki te Tumuaki o nga Kaiwea, ki te Komihana ranei o nga whenua o te Karauna mo te takiwa e takoto ai taua whenua, ki tetahi atu tangata tika ranei e whakaritea ana e te Kawana i roto i tona Kaunihere, i runga i te tikanga tiaki i runga i ona tikanga mo te hoko, riihi, whakahaere, whakapai, nama moni ranei i runga, e whakaaetia ana i waenganui i nga taha e rua, i runga ranei i ta te Kawana i roto i tona Kaunihera i whakahau ai; a e whakamana ana tenei Ture i te Tumuaki o nga Kaiwea me te Komihana mo nga Whenua o te Karauna, tetahi atu tangata ranei kua whakahuatia ake nei (e huaina ana i roto nei ko "te kaitiaki"), kia tu hei kaitiaki pera: Engari mehemea he tokomaha atu i te tangata kotahi nga tangata whaitake, me haina katoa nga tangata whaitake i nga pukapuka tuku, a ko te poraka katoa e puritia penatia ana, tetahi taha ranei e mohiotia ana nga rohe, me riro i runga i taua tuku.
4. Na mo runga mo ia whenua e tukuna peratia ana ki te kaitiaki, me pa atu enei tikanga, ara:—
(1.) Ka ahei te kaitiaki ki te nama moni i runga i te whenua, mehemea e mahara ana ia e nui ana te utu tika o te whenua hei whakaea, i runga i te tono a nga Maori whaitake, a te nuinga ranei o ratou, a mehemea ranei e whakamana ana ia e te tiiti tiaki, kei a ia te tikanga mo te nui o nga moni e nama me nga ritenga katoa, a ka ahei ia ki te whakarite atu i nga moni e puta mai ana i aua moni i nama peratia hei whakaea i nga nama e pa ana ki te whenua, ki etahi atu whenua ranei a aua Maori whaitake ano, hei utu ranei i te ruritanga, whakawatea, whakapainga ranei i aua whenua.
(2.) Ka ahei te kaitiaki ki te whakaoti pukapuka whaimana mokete i te whenua hei taunga mo te moni e nama peratia ana, a me uru ki roto ki aua pukapuka mokete nga ritenga me nga mana e maharatia ana e ia he mea tika, e whakaritea ana ranei i raro i nga tikanga whakahaere e whakaputaina ana i runga i te mana o tenei Ture.
(3.) Mo runga mo nga tikanga o tenei tekiona, me ahei te Kaitiaki mo te Katoa, mehemea e marama ana ia e rite ana taua whenua hei whakaea mai ano i aua moni, ki te nama moni atu o roto o nga moni e puritia ana e ia, a e watea ana hei tuku atu mana, a ki te nama atu e ia he moni mo runga mo te whenua kua tukuna mai ra ki a ia, ko ia hei kaitiaki, me mana ia ki te mahi i nga pukapuka mokete ki a ia ake ano.
5. Kia tino mana ai nga tikanga o nga tekiona e rua o tenei Ture o mua tata ake i tenei, me ahei te Kawana i roto i tona Kaunihera i ia wa i ia wa ki te whakarite tikanga i runga i tana i mahara ai he mea tika, me ahei hoki ki te wehe mai i tetahi whenua kia kaua e pangia e nga tikanga me nga here o roto o "Te Ture Kooti Whenua Maori, 1894," o tetahi atu Ture ranei e pa ana ki nga whenua Maori, whenua ranei e whaitake ana nga Maori, e puritia ana ranei e nga Maori.
6. I tua atu ano o nga tikanga kua whakamana i runga ake nei, ka meingatia enei tikanga, ara:— page 3
(1.) I runga i te tono a tetahi Maori whaitake ki te whenua motuhake, e hiahia ana ki te nama moni i tetahi tari tuku moni o te Kawanatanga i runga i te mokete o taua whenua, me ahei te Kooti Whenua Maori, ina marama ki te tika o taua tono, ki te tuku tiwhikete, he whenua ano ona i tua atu o te whenua e hiahiatia ana e ia kia moketetia, e rahi ana hei oranga mona;
(2.) Ina puta taua tiwhikete, ka ahei te Kawana i roto i tona Kaunihera ki te whakamana i taua Maori ki te mokete i te whenua ki tetahi tari tuku moni pera a te Kawanatanga, a ki te peratia me mana taua mokete, ano e hara i te Maori taua tangata tuku mokete, a kaua e pa atu nga here me nga tikanga o "Te Ture Whenua Maori, 1894," o tetahi atu Ture ranei e pa ana ki nga whenua Maori, ki nga whenua ranei e whaitake ana nga Maori, e puritia ana ranei e nga Maori, ahakoa e rereke ana nga tikanga o aua Ture;
(3.) Mo runga mo nga tikanga o tenei tekiona e uru ana ki raro ki enei kupu "tari tuku moni a te Kawanatanga":
(a.)Te Tari o te Kai-tiaki mo te Katoa;
(b.)Te Tari Inihua o te Kawanatanga;
(c.)Te Komihana o te Tari whakaea i nga Nama a te Katoa;
(d.) Tera atu tari tuku moni e whakahuatia ana e te Kawana i roto i tona Kaunihera mo taua mahi.
(4.) Ka ahei te Kawana i roto i tona Kaunihera i ia wa i ia wa ki te whakarite tikanga whakahaere i runga i tana i mahara ai he mea tika hei whakamana i nga tikanga o tenei tekiona, a i roto i aua tikanga whakahaere me mana ia ki te whakanui atu i nga moni e ahei nei aua tari tuku moni ki te nama atu i runga i te whenua kotahi, ki tetahi Maori kotahi ranei.
7. Me wkakatakoto ki te aroaro o nga whare e rua te Paremete, i roto i nga ra e toru tekau i muri tata iho o te puaretanga o ia huihuinga Paremata, te rarangi o nga tono kia putu he Ota o te Kaunihara a te Kawana i raro i nga tikanga o tenei Ture, whakaatu i nga tono kua whakaaetia, me nga tono kaore i whakaaetia, a mo runga mo nga tono kaore i whakaaetia, me whakaatu rawa i nga take i kore ai e whakaaetia.
8. Ko nga tiiti katoa kua mahia e nga Maori kua Kaporeihanatia ki etahi Maori tuku i etahi wahi o te whenua o taua Kaporeihana i mahia e to ratou komiti i whakaturia tikatia i runga i te mana o te Wahanga II o "Te Ture Kooti Whenua Maori, 1894," me mana tuturu mo nga tikanga katoa ina tuhia ki runga te kupu whakaae a te Komihana mo nga whenua o te Karauna, mo te takiwa e takoto ai taua whenua, a me ahei te Komihana ki te whakaae, mehemea kua whiriwhiria e ia, a e mahara ana ia e tika ana taua tuku a e pai ana kia whakamana.
page break
page 1

New Zealand.
Analysis.

Title.
Preamble.
1. Short Title.
2. Dealings with any interests in the Island of Kapiti prohibited.
3. Certain estates and interests in said island to vest in Her Majesty, subject to provisions of this Act.
4. Provision for payment of compensation to owners or lessees.
5. Deeds or instruments of title to be registered or deposited.
6. Proof thereof to be given. Schedule.

1897, No. 28.
Title.An Act to restrict certain Dealings in the Island of Kapiti pending the Acquisition thereof by Her Majesty as a Public Reserve.

[22nd December, 1897.
Preamble.Whereas the Island of Kapiti, situated in the Land District of Wellington, containing four thousand nine hundred and ninety acres, more or less, is owned principally by Natives who are not in beneficial use or occupation of the same: And whereas, for the purposes of conserving the natural scenery of the said island, and providing a preserve for the fauna and flora of New Zealand, it is desirable that the said island should be acquired by Her Majesty as a public reserve, and that pending such acquisition all dealings therewith by private persons should be prohibited and determined:

Be it therefore enacted by the General Assembly of New Zealand in Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1.Short Title. The Short Title of this Act is "The Kapiti Island Public Reserve Act, 1897."
2.Dealings with any interests in the Island of Kapiti prohibited. From and after the date of the passing of this Act it shall not be lawful for any person other than a person acting for or on behalf of the Crown, and under the written authority of a Minister of the Crown, to acquire any estate or interest in any lands forming part of the Island of Kapiti, as described in the Schedule hereto, whether such dealing be in the nature of an original transaction, or in completion of any transaction or dealing initiated or commenced prior to the passing of this Act.
3.Certain estates and interests in said island to vest in All estates and interests, whether freehold or lesser estate, in any lands forming part of the said island, held or acquired by page 2any person or persons other than the original Native owners, or their heirs or successors according to Native custom, shall upon the passing of this Act vest in Her Majesty upon and subject to such terms as to compensation and otherwise as by this Act are provided.Her Majesty, subject to provisions of this Act.
4.Provision for payment of compensation to owners or lessees. Failing any agreement being made as to compensation to be paid, every person deprived of any freehold or any lesser valid estate or interest by the operation of this Act shall be entitled to compensation therefor, to be ascertained and determined under the provisions of "The Public Works Act, 1894," as in the case of Native lands or other lands, as the case may be, taken for a public work.
5.Deeds or instruments of title to be registered or deposited. All persons claiming to have heretofore acquired any valid estate or interest in the said lands or any part thereof as evidenced by any deed or instrument shall register such deed or instrument at the office of the District Land Registrar, Wellington, within three calendar months from the date of the passing of this Act, or, if such registration is not permissible or feasible, then the deed or instrument together with a certified copy thereof shall be deposited with such Registrar within the said period of three months.
6.Proof thereof to be given. No claim for compensation shall be entertained until proof of such registration or deposit be given.

Schedule.
Kapiti Island. Schedule.

All that piece or parcel of land known as the Island of Kapiti, in the Kapiti Survey District, Provincial District of Wellington, and containing about 4,990 acres, more or less. Bounded on the north-east, south-east, south-west, and north-west by Cook Strait: as the same is more particularly shown on the plan thereof deposited in the District Survey Office, Wellington.

page 1

Niu Tireni.
Rahui I Kapiti Moutere Mo Te Katoa.

He Ture hei tuku i Kapiti Moretere ki a te Kuini.

Notemea ko Kapiti Moutere, e takoto nei i roto i te Takiwa o Poneke, tona nui e wha mano e iwa rau e iwa tekau nga eka, nui atu iti iho ranei, he Maori te nuinga o nga tangata no ratou taua whenua a kaore i te nohoia i te mahia ranei e ratou e puta ai he tino painga ki a ratou i taua moutere: A notemea, kia taea ai te tiaki nga rakau me era atu mea e whakapai nei i te ahua o taua moutere, kia taea ai hoki te rahui nga otaota Maori o Niu Tireni, he mea tika kia hokona taua moutere e te Kuini hei rahui mo te katoa, a i te mea e whakahaerea ana taua hoko, me kaua e whakaaetia a me whaka mutu katoa nga hoko me nga riihi i era atu tangata katoa:

Na reira ka meingatia hei Ture e te Runanga Nui o Niu Tireni e noho huihui ana i roto i te Paremete, i runga ano hoki i tona mana, ara:—

1. Ko te Ingoa Poto o tenei Ture ko "Te Ture Rahui i Kapiti Moutere mo te Katoa, 1897."
2. I muri tonu iho i te mananga o tenei Ture me kaua rawa tetahi tangata e whakahaere tikanga e riro ai i a ia tetahi wahi whenua i taua Moutere o Kapiti, kua whakahuatia ake nei i te kupu apiti ki tenei ture, kaua hoki e ahei ki te whakaoti i tetahi whakaritenga i timataria i mua atu i te mananga o tenei Ture, engari anake te tangata e mahi ana mo te taha ki te Karauna, a kua whakamana e te pukapuka tuhituhi a tetahi o nga Minita o te Karauna.
3. Ko nga paanga whaitaketanga katoa, ahakoa take tuturu, he riihi ranei o tetahi wahi o taua Moutere, e puritia ana e tetahi tangata e etahi tangata ranei, e hara nei i tetahi o nga Maori whaitake mai o te tuatahi, ona uri kaiwhakakapi ranei i runga i te tikanga Maori, me tau ki a te Kuini i te mananga o tenei Ture, i runga i nga tikanga, me nga whakaritenga utu e whakaritea ana i roto i tenei Ture.page 2
4. Ki te kore e taea te whakarite nga utu, ko ia tangata whai whenua kua riro i a ia, e riihitia ana ranei e ia, a e tangohia ana i runga i te mana o tenei Ture, e tika ana kia utua ia, a ko te moni hei utunga me whiriwhiri i rare i nga tikanga o "Te Ture mo nga Mahi mo te Katoa, 1894," pera ano me te tikanga mo nga whenua Maori, me era atu whenua, e tangohia ana mo nga mahi mo te katoa.
5. Ko nga tangata katoa e ki ana kua riro i a ratou he take tuturu he paanga ranei ki aua whenua ki etahi wahi ranei o aua whenua, a he tiiti ano he pukapuka ranei a ratou hei whakamana i aua take, me rehita taua tiiti, pukapuka ranei i te Tari o te Kairehita Takiwa Whenua, i Poneke, i roto i nga marama e toru o muri iho o te mananga o tenei Ture, a ki te kore e ahei te rehita, me tuku taua tiiti pukapuka ranei me tona tauira hoki ki taua Kairehita i roto ano i aua marama e toru.
6. Kaua rawa e maharatia te tono utu, kia tino whakaponoa rawa ra ano te rehitatanga te tukunga atu ranei o aua tiiti, pukapaka ranei.

Kupu Apiti.
Kapiti Moutere.

Ko tera wahi whenua katoa e mohiotia nei ko te Moutere o Kapiti, i roto i te Takiwa Ruri o Kapiti, Takiwa Porowinitanga o Poneke, tona nui e 4,990 nga eka, nui atu iti iho ranei.

Ona rohe ki raro whaka te rawhiti, ki te tonga whaka te rawhiti, ki te tonga whaka te hauauru, me te hauauru whaka raro ko te moana o Raukawa, e ata whakaaturia ana nei tona ahua e te mapi o taua moutere kua whakatakotoria ki te Tari Ruri, Poneke.

page break page break page break