The New Zealand Railways Magazine, Volume 15, Issue 3 (June 1, 1940)
On the afternoon of this day, Cook took Mr. Hodges to a large cascade which fell from a high mountain on the south side of the bay; Mr. Hodges made a drawing of it which he afterwards painted in oils. Cook named the place—Cascade Cove.
In the course of his survey of the rocks and isles at the mouth of the bay, Cook found—on the south-east side of Anchor Isle—“a very sunny cove, sheltered from all winds. Here by the side of a pleasant brook, shaded by trees from both wind and sun,” Cook and his party dined on crayfish. Hence the name—Luncheon Cove. To Cook, what a delightful pause in his unending toil—to rest by the side of a pleasant brook, shaded by trees from both wind and sun!