The New Zealand Railways Magazine, Volume 11, Issue 3 (June 1, 1936)
Historic Locomotives Preserved
Historic Locomotives Preserved.
Following its commendable policy of preserving historic locomotives, the London, Midland & Scottish Railway has recently restored and repainted two notable engines, and placed them on exhibition in Glasgow. These are the former Caledonian Railway 4-2-2 type engine No. 123, and the former Highland Railway 4-6-0 type locomotive, No. 103.
The 4-2-2 locomotive was actually the last engine with single driving wheels employed on the Home lines for public passenger service. Built in 1886, No. 123 played a prominent part in the historic “Race to Edinburgh.” Its single driving wheels are 7 feet in diameter. The other engine to be placed on show was the first 4-6-0 locomotive to be introduced in Britain, being designed in 1894 for hauling passenger trains over the heavilygraded Highland tracks. An especially interesting feature in its design is the double chimney for draught induction. Several similar locomotives continue to give good service over the Highland section of the L. M. & S. Railway.