The New Zealand Railways Magazine, Volume 9, Issue 9 (December 1, 1934)
To the Land of Lakes
To the Land of Lakes.
The bold, lofty cone of Mt. Edge-cumbe, or Putauaki, now comes dramatically into the picture, as the motor cars speed on across the plain towards the Rotorua lakes. Past Te Teko, with its pakeha and Maori farms, the route climbs a ridge of fern and forest and drops into Lakeland.
Rotoma, Rotoehu and Rotoiti are closely skirted, lakes of calm and forest fringe; famous Hongi's Track is traversed, between the latter two lakes. Maori villages, quiet hamlets with here and there a carved meeting-house; glistening beaches of white sand, cliffs where the inland pohutukawa, almost as rich of flower-dress as its coast sister, bends down towards the blue waters.
The first whiff of sulphuretted hydrogen is wafted on the breeze at the entrance to that glen of horrors Tikitere, reminder that the travellers are in Hot Spring Land at last. Rotorua Lake now spreads out, with its lovely island of song and legend, Mokoia, a mountain-isle of peace, softly green to its tapu summit. The lake sleeps in blue and silver; away on the left the snowy clouds of steam hover over the geyser valley of Whakarewarewa. Ahead, Rotorua town among its tree groves and parks and gardens, the comfortable looking capital of Geyserland, where the Duke will make a stay of two days before going on to Auckland.