The New Zealand Railways Magazine, Volume 5, Issue 9 (April 1, 1931)
Nook of History
Nook of History.
Kerikeri, the scene of that bullock-team ploughing for wheat-growing, is a place of remarkable historic interest for us, quite a story treasure-place, slumbering there beside its tidal river-basin. It has the oldest wooden building and the oldest stone building in New Zealand. The timber structure is the mission house now occupied bv the Kemp family; it was built in 1819. The fort-like stone store, built in 1833 as the base for mission supplies, on the little seaport where the track went in to the Waimate station, looks fit to stand for centuries yet; and the mission house built of the best timbers in the land should last for many a generation, like the well-built country homes in the Old Land.