The New Zealand Railways Magazine, Volume 5, Issue 9 (April 1, 1931)
The “Pioneer” was built in 1836 for the Utica and Schenectady Railroad. Later it was sold to the Michigan Central and called the “Alert.” The latter Company, in turn, sold it to the Galena and Chicago Union Railroad, now the Chicago and North Western Railway. After some remodelling it was renamed the “Pioneer” inasmuch as it was the first locomotive to operate west of the Great Lakes and the first to enter Chicago. This famous old locomotive was exhibited at the World's Fair in 1893 and at the St. Louis Exposition in 1904. For a number of years it was on exhibition in the Field Museum, Chicago, and is now preserved by the Chicago and North Western Railway at Chicago.
(From “The Development of the Locomotive” published by The Central Steel Company, Massillon, Ohio, U.S.A.).