The New Zealand Railways Magazine, Volume 5, Issue 6 (October 1, 1930)
The “Atlantic” was built by Phineas Davis and put in service on the Baltimore & Ohio Company's lines in 1832. It had two vertical cylinders, 10 × 20 inches, and, although it had four wheels, only two were drivers. The boiler was vertical and tubular. The locomotive hauled 30 tons from Ellicott's Mills to Baltimore, a distance of 13 miles, within an hour. With tender only, it attained a speed of thirty miles per hour. Careful account was kept of its cost of operation and it was found that its daily labour involved an expenditure of $16, while the same results accomplished with animal power amounted to $33. The “Atlantic” weighed six and a half tons, and for a time became the standard form of engine on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad.
(From “The Development of the Locomotive” published by The Central Steel Company, Massillon, Ohio, U.S.A.).