The 'Sure to Rise' Cookery Book
Small Cakes (Without Eggs)
Small Cakes (Without Eggs).
- 3 ozs. butter (or dripping)
- 3 ozs. sugar
- ½ ℔. ﬂour (or 1 breakfastcup)
- 1 teaspoonful ground ginger
- 1 heaped teaspoonful Edmonds' Egg Powder
- Milk to mix about ¼ pint.
Soften butter or dripping if very hard, add sugar and beat to a cream. Slightly warm the milk, and beat it in by degrees. Stir in lightly the ﬂour previously sifted with the Egg powder, ground ginger, and half a saltspoon of salt, drop in spoonfuls on a cold baking tray, sprinkle a little sugar over, and bake in hot oven for about ten minutes. The mixture for these and all eggless cakes must be fairly firm, and the spoonfuls piled high on the baking tray.