Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]

Secondary Schools

Secondary Schools.

The Wanganui Collegiate School is governed by a Board of Trustees; members for the year 1907 are:—The Right Rev. the Bishop of Wellington (chairman), Dr.G.E. Anson, and Messrs. A. G. Bignell, G. Marshall, and J. W. Marshall. Mr. S. W. Adams is secretary. The Board has its offices in Wanganui Chambers, Victoria Avenue.

Wanganui Collegiate School is probably the largest residential college in the Dominion of New Zealand, and stands on a site bounded by Victoria Avenue, Ingestre, London, and Purnell Streets, granted by the Crown in the early days as an endowment for an Anglican school. The college building stands on a portion of the Victoria Avenue frontage, and has accommodation for 150 boarders. There are very large grounds, fives courts, tennis courts, swimming bath, etc. At the private chapel in the college grounds services are regularly held. In June, 1907, the number of pupils in attendance was 186, and of these 143 were in residence. The Head-master, Mr W. Empson, B.A., is supported by eleven assistant masters, most of whom are University graduates.

Mr. Walter Empson, B.A., Headmaster of the Wanganui Collegiate School, has occupied his position since 1888, and was previously one of the staff for five years.

The Board of Governors of The Wanganui Girls' College consists of:—Messrs. F. Pirani (Chairman), F. M. Spurdle, A. Fraser, D. H. Guthrie, J. Smith, G. H. Bennett, E. Dixon, F. Purnell, and W. C. Cargill. Mr W. J. Carson is secretary. The offices of the Board are at the office of the Wanganui Education Board, Nixon Street, Wanganui.

The Wanganui Girls' College was established in 1891, and stands on an extensive site in Liverpool Street. It is a handsome two-storeyed building, to which considerable brick additions have been made. The total number of girls in attendance, including boarders, is about 150. Miss M. I. Fraser, M.A., is Lady Principal, and has held the position since the year 1894. She is assisted by six assistant mistresses, two teachers of music, and three visiting teachers.

The Wanganui District High School was established in the year 1901, prior to which date it was known as the Wanganui Boys' School. It occupies a fine site on Victoria Avenue, and has a playground of five acres and a half, part of the celebrated Industrial School estate. The building is of wood and iron, and consists of seven well-ventilated class-rooms, a chemical laboratory, and a workshop fitted with tools and benches. The Head-master, Mr James Aitken, B.A., is supported by a staff of seven certificated teachers and two pupil teachers.