The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
The Wanganui Hospital Board controls the administration of the district Hospital. Members for the year 1907:—Messrs. W. Ritchie (chairman), T. H. Battle, T. B. Williams, J. F. Sicely, C. G. Russell, C. J. Wray, E. E. Fletcher, R. K. Simpson, J. Duncan, B. P. Lethbridge, and J. Georgetti. Mr A. C. Ritchie is secretary and treasurer.
The Wanganui Hospital occupies a healthy site of thirty acres, about a mile outside the borough boundary, on the road to Castlecliff. The main brick building is a modern one, constructed on the pavilion principle. In the year 1903 the late Mr Seddon opened the Queen Victoria Ward; this is also built of brick, contains twenty beds, and was erected by public subscription, supplemented by a Government subsidy. The Nurses' Home was opened in 1904, and consists of a wood and Marseilles tiles building, with accommodation for the matron, nurses, probationers of the hospital, and servants of the home. During the year ended March, 1907, 631 patients had been under treatment. Dr. Thomas Fergus is house surgeon, and Miss C. McKenny is matron.
Dr. Thomas Fergus, M.B., Ch.B., who was appointed house surgeon of the Wanganui Hospital in 1907, is the eldest son of Mr R. Fergus, of Dunedin. He was born in Dunedin in the year 1881, and was educated at the Otago Boys' High School, and the Otago University, where he graduated in 1905. Dr. Fergus was assistant in a private practice for twelve months, in the South Wairarapa district, and in 1906 was assistant house-surgeon of the Wellington Public Hospital, before receiving his present appointment.