The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Eketahuna is a rising township on the Makakahi river, eighty-nine miles north-east by rail from Wellington, in the county of Eketahuna. It is the centre of a large and prosperous farming district, and promises to become a town of considerable importance. The land around Eketahuna is well suited for grazing purposes, and sheep and dairy farming are extensively carried on. Among other industries may be mentioned a brick and tile factory, sash and door factory, printing works, creameries, and timber mills. The town has a newspaper, a two-storeyed post and telegraph office, several churches, a public hall, two branch banks, the county council office, a public school, four hotels, and a large boarding house. The main street, which may be said to compose the town, is in the form of an octagon, and contains some fine business premises. The professions are represented by two doctors, two chemists, two dentists, and legal firms. Excellent trout fishing can be obtained in the neighbourhood, and there are good cycling roads, The population of Eketahuna at the census of 1906 was 704.
The Borough of Eketahuna was constituted in April, 1907, the town having previously been governed by a Town Board. The borough has an area of 960 acres. A general rate of ½d. in the £ is struck on the rateable value, which is £81,794; the value of property is £141,372, there are 248 ratepayers and 205 dwellings. The council have made extensive improvements in the town, a loan is now (1908) being raised for the installation of electricity for public and private lighting and power purposes, and the inauguration of a complete drainage and sewerage system is contemplated. Members of the Council are: Messrs. A. H. Herbert (mayor), J. F. Baillie, F. J. Bright. J. A. Has-well, J. J. Knight, J. J. Mead, and F. H. Wise (councillors). Mr. J. Pren-derville is town clerk.
His Worship The Mayor, Mr. Alfred Henry Herbert, J.P., was one of the founders of the Town Board, of which he was continuously chairman, and was also instrumental in forming the town into a borough. Mr. Herbert was the first president of the Chamber of Commerce, of which he is still a member, is a volunteer of twenty years' standing, and for many years commanded the Eketahuna Mounted Rifle Volunteers, is a past master in the Order of Freemasons, an Oddfellow, a justice of the peace, and a member of the various social clubs. He was born in Newbury, Berkshire, England, in October, 1868, and came to New Zealand at ten years of age. He was educated at the Mount Cook School, Wellington, and then in turn learned the grocery, plumbing; and drapery trades, and also gained clerical experience and a knowledge of accountancy. Later he returned to the general store-keeping, and for three years was employed by Messrs. Jones and Company, of Eketahuna, before starting business on his own account. Mr. Herbert is married, and has one son.
Councillor John Andrew Haswell, J.P., who was one of the promoters of the Town Board, on which he served from its inception, also took a leading part in the constitution of the borough. He was chairman in 1907 of the Chamber of Commerce, was chairman for some time of the school committee, was secretary for four years of the public library, is a justice of the peace, an Oddfellow, and a Freemason. Mr. Haswell was born in Napler in 1866, after leaving school he learned the general storekeeping trade, and found employment in Gore and in Invercar-gill. He then became branch manager for Messrs. S. W. Maxwell and Company, at Kaikoura, Marlborough, which business he managed for four years, and afterwards bought and conducted it on his own account for five years. Mr. Haswell sold out, after-wards removed to Feilding, and four years later went to Eketahuna as manager for Messrs. J. Jones and Company, of which firm he subsequently became a partner. He married Miss M. E. Grey, of Kaikoura, a daughter of one of the pioneer settlers, and has two daughters.
The Eketahuna Mounted Rifles, the C Company of the 2nd Battalion Wellington (Wairarapa) Mounted Rifle Volunteers, was formed in September, 1900, with a membership of fifty-two. It is under the command of Captain Edward Page, and Mr. J. Prendeville is lieutenant, and Mr. S. E. Greendale is secretary. The full dress uniform is a suit of green with black facings, and the head gear is a busby and plume; the undress uniform is made of khaki. Two parades are held monthly, fre- page 727 quent shooting practices take place on a private range, and the corps goes into camp once a year. The Eketahuna Mounted Rifles take part in rifle competitions, and hold, for the second year in succession, the cup presented to the 2nd Battalion by Major Samuel Bolton. At Trentham one member of the corps, Trooper Marenzi, shot into eleventh place. In 1907, for the first time in its history, the corps sent representatives to compete at the Palmerston North Grand Military Tournament, and out of four events in which they took part, they scored two first prizes, one second, and one third. The corps was selected to receive the King's Colours, presented to the 2nd Battalion on Dominion Day.
Captain Edward Page, of the Eketahuna Mounted Rifles, was born in Wellington, in 1877, and was educated at the public schools and at Wellington College. After four years' mercantile experience with Messrs. John Duthie and Company he studied law with Messrs. Chapman and Tripp, and with Mr. Tosswill, of Pahlatua, where he qualified in 1902. In the following year he established a practice in Eketahuna, and later was joined by his brother, who is also a qualified solicitor. Mr. Page joined the local mounted corps as a trooper in the year 1904, was elected lieutenant in 1905, and captain in 1907.
Quarter-Master Sergeant Greathead, of the Eketahuna Mounted Rifles, joined the corps at its inception, when he was elected sergeant, and is now the only original member still remaining in the corps. Mr. Greathead was born in Masterton in July, 1875, his father being an old settler there, and his grandfather, Mr. Edwin Ticehurst, was one of the first immigrants to land in Wellington. He was educated in Masterton, afterwards learned the saddlery trade, and for fifteen years was employed by Messrs. Elliott and Company, saddlers. For some time he managed their Eketahuna branch business, which he bought in August, 1900, and has since conducted on his own account. The premises consist of a shop and a workroom at the rear. A fine stock of all classes of saddlery, harness, and accessories is kept, the proprietor being a direct importer from the best English manufacturers. Two persons are employed in the manufacturing and repairing departments. Mr. Greathead is a trustee of the local lodge of Foresters.
Sergeant Brendon Doyle, of the Eketahuna Mounted Rifles, who is also sergeant-in-charge of the signalling squad of his corps, was born in Ashburton, Canterbury, in August, 1881, and educated in Christchurch. He removed to the North Island at an early age, and learned the hair-dressing trade under Mr. Quirk, of Pahiatua, in whose employment he remained for eight years. He then went to Dunedin, and was employed for a short time by Mr. Goldsmith, but subsequently removed to Eketahuna, and established his present business in 1903. The prem-ises consist of a shop (carrying an assortment of tobacconists'wares and toilet requisites), and a well-appointed saloon, with two modern chairs. Mr. Doyle is a past chief ranger of the Order of Foresters.
Sergeant B. Doyle.
Prendeville, James, B.A., LL.B., Barrister and Solicitor, Main Street, Eketahuna. Mr. Prende-ville established his present practice in the year 1905. He was born in the year 1876 at Karori, Wellington, and was educated at the public schools, at Wellington College, and at Canterbury College, and graduated B.A. in 1898. In 1899 he entered Mr. A. R. Meek's office, in Wellington, and remained there for three years, during which time he studied at Victoria College, and graduated LL.B. In the year 1902 Mr. Prendeville became managing clerk to Mr. Hollings, of Masterton, and in March, 1904, he joined that gentleman in partnership. Soon afterwards the partnership was dissolved, and Mr. Prendeville then established his present practice. He has been connected with military matters from his school days, and holds the office of lieutenant in the Eketahuna Mounted Rifles. Mr. Prendeville also acts as town clerk.
Mr. J. S. Tripe.
Burt, Edward John, Chemist, Optician, and Photographic Dealer, Main Street, Eketahuna. This business was establshed in the year 1895, and acquired by Mr. Burt in April, 1907. The premises comprise a large, well-appointed shop and an optical room. A complete stock of drugs, patent medicines, and druggists' sundries is kept, also toilet articles and photographic goods, and a specialty is made of veterinary medicines. The optical department is very complete, with a large range of newest lines in lenses and frames. Mr. Burt was born in Christchurch in the year 1877, educated at the Boys' High School, and studied for his profession at Rangiora, where he qualified in 1899. He then spent four years with Messrs. Wallace and Company, of Christ-church, acted for a short time as locum tenens in Auckland, and was engaged for five years in Mr. Leary's pharmacy in Palmerston North, before acquiring his present business in Eketahuna. Mr. Burt married a sister of Mr. F. A. Hornibrook, of Christchurch, and has one son and two daughters.
Boyes and Walsh (W. A. Boyes and T. Walsh), Land, Estate, Stock, and General Commission Agents, Main Street, Eketahuna. This progressive firm was founded in the year 1907, and their premises are situated in Messrs. Dalgety and Company's buildings. They have a large list of stations, mixed farms, and business, commercial, and residential sites on their books. The proprietors are practical farmers, and are able to give valuable information respecting the properties they handle.
Mr. William Arthur Boyes, of the firm of Messrs. Boyes and Walsh, was born in Christchurch in June, 1874, was educated in Wellington and Dunedin, and gained a thorough mercantile experience in Wellington. He then followed farming pursuits, and later spent five years in the service of the Government Survey Department. He afterwards returned to farming in the Eketahuna district, and subsequently sold out to enter the land agency business. Mr. Boyes is arch druid of the local lodge, and corporal in the Eketahuna Mounted Rifles.
Mr. W. A. Boyes.
Mr. Thomas Walsh, of the firm of Messrs. Boyes and Walsh, was born in the Taieri, Otago. After leaving school he followed farming pursuits, and later entered into partnership with his two brothers. Later the brothers sold out their business interests, and Mr. Walsh entered the service of the Otago Farmers' Cooperative Association. Subsequently for two years he was engaged in farming at Ealing, near Ashburton, whence he removed to the North Island, and settled at Eketahuna. For a time he was local agent for Messrs. Lowes and Iorns, general stock dealers, and manager of the local agency of the Loan and Mercantile Agency Company, Limited, prior to joining his present firm.
Mr. T. Walsh.
Mead, John James, Builder and Contractor, Sash and Door Manufacturer, Cabinetmaker and Furniture Manufacturer, Eketahuna. This business was established in the year 1904, and is conducted in a large wooden building, with a showroom, workshop, and extensive timber yards. There is a complete up-to-date plant of wood-working machinery, driven by a ten-horse power Tangye steam engine, and a considerable number of men are constantly employed in the factory. The timber is brought from the main trunk line, and is all thoroughly seasoned before being used. Furniture of all kinds is manufactured, also cheese and butter boxes for the local factories, but the proprietor's chief work consists of the manufacture of page 729 woodwork in connection with his building contracts. Mr. Mead was born in Derby, England, in November, 1852, and after leaving school served his time as a joiner in his native town. He then went to South America, where for eighteen months he had charge of the Government saw-mill at Brazil, which was engaged in cutting timber for the railway. On returning to England, in 1873, he immediately embarked for New Zealand in the ship “Waikato,” under the command of Captain Rose, and on his arrival was employed by Mr. Goss, of Christchurch, whom he assisted in building the Glenmark home-stead in North Canterbury. He then left for England in the S.S. “Otago,” and after the wreck of that vessel on Chasland's Mistake, he reached Christ-church, and for four years thereafter worked in Mr. A. J. White's cabinet factory. He subsequently went to England, remained there for five years, and in 1885 returned to New Zealand, found employment for a short time in saw-mills near Wellington, then assisted in the formation of the Wellington special settlement, at Nireha, and acquired a section on his own account. Later, however, he disposed of this property, and removed to Eketahuna, where he established his present business. Mr. Mead takes a keen interest in all public matters, is one of the trustees of the Masterton District Hospital, a member of the Eketahuna Borough Council, and a past master of the Order of Oddfellows.
McKibbin and Pike, General Drapers, Clothiers, and Boot and Shoe Importers, Main Street, Eketahuna. This well-known business was established in the year 1905 by Messrs. D. G. McKibbin and Company, of Woodville, who were joined in partnership in February, 1907, by Mr. Phil Pike. The premises consist of a one-storey building, with a frontage of thirty feet to Main street, and a depth of sixty feet. The building is well appointed throughout, is lighted by means of skylights, and two expansive plate-glass windows give an attractive display of the goods. The firm are direct importers from the best English manufacturers, and carry a large up-to-date stock of general drapery, clothing, millinery, mercery, and boots and shoes. Ten persons are employed in connection with the business.
Mr. Phil Pike, Managing Partner of Messrs. McKibbin and Pike, was born in Blenheim in the year 1864, and is the second son of the late Mr. William Pike. He was educated at the Borough school, and brought up to the drapery trade with Messrs. W. B. Girling and Company. Later he spent four years with Messrs. Ross and Company, of Palmerston North, and then went to Australia, where he was employed successively by Messrs. Percy Hordern, Mark Foy, C. G. Hatty, and Hunter and Fairley, of Sydney, as buyer and departmental-manager. In 1906 he returned to New Zealand, and soon afterwards became a partner in his present firm. Mr. Pike married Miss Emerson, an Irish lady, and has four sons and two daughters.
Mr. P. Pike.
The Club Hotel (A. Manguson, proprietor), Eketahuna. This hotel is a large two-storeyed building with a verandah and balcony. It contains thirty-five rooms, including a convenient commercial room, sitting rooms, and a fine billiard room. The house is comfortably furnished throughout, and is well kept. The bar is stocked with the best liquors, the cuisine is excellent, and the tariff is moderate. Eight persons are employed under the superintendence of Mr. and Mrs. Mangutson, and guests receive every care and attention.
Mr. Allan Manguson, proprietor of the Club Hotel, was born in Wellington in March, 1864, and was educated at the public schools. In the coaching days he was employed for several years as a groom. Subsequently he removed to Eketahuna, where for a time he conducted a livery stable on his own account. This he afterwards disposed of in order to take up the hotelkeep-ing business, and successively conducted the Ranfurly Hotel and the Eketahuna Hotel, before taking over the Club Hotel.
Mr. Albert Dellow Donald, Manager of the Eketahuna branch, was born at Sandon, near Feilding, in March, 1880, educated at the public schools, and was brought up to farming pursuits. He afterwards learned the cycle business with Messrs. Barry Brother, of Feilding, where he spent some years, received a thorough training in every branch of the cycle, engineering, and repairing departments, and then settled in Pahiatua. Mr. Donald is a member of the Chamber of Commerce, the Order of Foresters, and the Presbyterian Church. He is married, and has one son and one daughter.
Mr. A. D. Donald.
Herbert, A. H., and Company Limited, General Merchants and Storekeepers, Eketahuna, Pahiatua, and Alfredton. This business was established in July, 1894, by Mr. A. H. Herbert. The present handsome premises were erected in 1894, with a frontage of fifty feet to the main street, and a depth of 300 feet, and are divided into several departments. In the year 1898 the Alfredton branch was opened, where the firm have fine premises, and do an extensive country business. Messrs. L. T. Herbert and M. R. Herbert started the Pahiatua business on their own account in 1903, but in the following year the three brothers combined their interests and formed a limited liability company, with Mr. A. H. Herbert as managing director. The Pahiatua premises are situated in the main street, near the south end of the town, and consist of a fine building, with a frontage of forty-five feet and a depth of eighty-five feet. The firm are large direct importers of general merchandise, and carry a complete stock of groceries, ironmongery, crockery, seeds, grain and produce, building and fencing materials, drapery, and clothing.
Mr. Alfred Henry Herbert, Managing Director of Messrs. A. H. Herbert and Company Limited, is further referred to as mayor of Eketahuna.
Mr. Lancelot Tuckwell Herbert, Manager of the Pahiatua branch of Messrs. A. H. Herbert and Company, Limited, was born in England, and came to New Zealand at an early age. He received a commercial training as a warehouseman before establishing the business, of which he is now manager, in conjunction with his younger brother. Mr. Herbert is well known in military circles, was sergeant-major of the Ninth Contingent in the South African Boer war, and is a member of the Pahiatua Mounted Rifle Volunteers.
Mr. Marcus Herbert, Manager of the Alfredton branch of Messrs. A. H. Herbert and Company Limited, was born in England, and came to New Zealand as a child. After leaving school he learned the drapery trade in Wellington, and afterwards joined his brother in the establishment of the Pahiatua business, of which he is now a director. Mr. Herbert served in the South African Boer war with the Eighth Contingent, was invalided home, and went back as quartermaster sergeant of the Tenth Contingent.
Jones, J., and Company, General Merchants and Storekeepers, Main Street, Eketahuna. This business was established in the year 1881 by Mr. J. Jones. For some years Mr. Jones, who was ably assisted by his wife, conducted a carrying business and a boarding house, in conjunction with the store, but later, as the business increased, these were sold, and Mr. Jones gave the whole of his attention to the storekeeping trade. The premises are situated in Main street, in which they have a frontage of 108 feet and six plate-glass show windows. The main building is divided into several departments, each carrying a full stock of merchandise, including grocery, ironmongery, crockery and glassware, drapery, clothing, page 731 mercery, millinery, furniture, tools, oilmen's colours, and wall-papers. At the rear there are spacious bulk storerooms, unpacking rooms, and seed, grain and produce sheds. The whole building is thoroughly well appointed, and is lighted by a private installation of acetylene gas, six fine arc lights brilliantly lighting the front of the premises. At Mr. Jones' private residence the firm have a bone and corn crusher, driven by a six and a half-horse power oil engine, which also drives a circular saw, and a doublebagger chaff cutter. Sixteen persons are employed in connection with the business.
Mr. John Andrew Haswell, Managing Partner of Messrs. J. Jones and Company, is more fully referred to as a member of the Eketahuna Borough Council.