The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Carterton, named after the late Mr. C. R. Carter, is a prosperous township about nine miles south from Masterton, on the main line of railway, and fifty-eight miles from Wellington, in the county of Wairarapa South. It is the centre of an important sheep and cattle farming district, and the dairy industry is being developed by four co-operative cheese factories and several private ones. The town is well laid out and is built chiefly on level land. The business portion of the town is composed mainly of one long wide street, and this runs more or less parallel to the railway line, about a quarter of a mile distant. The chief industries are saw-milling, pipe, tile, and brick manufacturing, bacon-curing, cabinet making, engineering, motor and cycle works, coach and carriage factories, furniture manufacturing, etc. Carterton has a post office, a district high school, a daily newspaper, a public library, a town hall, three hotels, and a large number of business premises. Deer shooting is to be had in the surrounding district, and trout fishing in nearly all the streams and rivers of the neighbourhood. The population of Carterton at the census of 1906 was 1,402.
The Borough of Carterton was constituted in the year 1887, and has jurisdiction over an area of 1,880 acres. The capital value is £261,284, and the rates consist of a general rate of 1d. in the pound, and eight special rates to provide interest on loans. The town is lighted with gas, which was installed in 1907, at a coat of nearly £6,000. There is a good water supply, obtained primarily from the Waingawa river, thence by the county water race through filter beds to the settling ponds, and on to the reservoir, about four miles and a half distant from the town. A system of sewerage on the septic tank principle was installed in 1906, at a cost of nearly £8,000. The tank is one of the most successful in the Dominion. Carterton has a fire brigade station, with modern appliances, a library, a fine park (Carrington Park), a recreation reserve of seven acres, and a show ground. Members of the council are: Messrs. W. Moore (mayor), H. H. Browne, J. Hart, G. Hughan, A. King, W. J. Lindop, W. T. Masson, A. Phillpots, D. Reid, and W. Toomath (councillors). Mr. J. Moncrieff, junior, is the town clerk.
His Worship The Mayor, Mr. Willie Moore, who was elected to office in the year 1907, has been a member of the Carterton Borough Council for many years. He was born in the year 1863, in Carterton, where he was educated at the local public school, and brought up to mercantile life under his father, Mr. Thomas Moore. In 1890 Mr. Moore, senior, retired from active life, and his son took over the business, which he has since conducted. Mr. Moore takes a great interest in public and social matters, is a member of the Masonic Order, and was a member of the rifle club and the school committee. He was also for some years first lieutenant of the Carterton Rifle Volunteers. He married a daughter of Mr. Edward Eagle, of Carterton.
Councillor J. Hart.
Councillor Gordon Hughan, who has continuously occupied a seat on the Carterton Borough Council since 1904, is also a member of the Board of the Carterton Old Men's Home, the High School Committee, the Presbyterian Church management committee, the Order of Freemasons, and one of the trustees of the Foresters' Lodge. He was born in Carterton in October, 1867, and is the youngest son of Mr. Alexander Hughan, a pioneer settler. After leaving school he was brought up to the blacksmithing trade, and found employment as a journeyman in various parts of the province. He subsequently spent five years in Marlborough, where he worked on the Mahakipawa diggings for twelve months, and for the remainder of the time at his trade. In the year 1895 he returned to Carterton, and established his present business. The premises occupy a site in Pembroke street, and comprise a commodious motor garage, showroom, workshop, and a large smithy. The motor department has a frontage of fifty-five feet to Pembroke street, with a depth of sixty feet, and is fitted up with a repairing plant for both motors and biycles. The machinery is driven by a three-horse power gas engine, and includes a plant for recharging accumulators. The showroom carries a stock of the “Argyle” and “Ford” motor cars, the famous “Motosacoche” motor cycle, the “Raleigh,” the “Royal Enfleld,” and the “Rudge-Whitworth” bicycles, which are imported direct, and also a special machine of the proprietor's own build known as “Excel,” which is a good road bicycle. Six persons are employed in connection with the business. In the year 1894 Mr. Hughan married Miss Pattison, of Dunedin, Otago, and has one son and three daughters.
Wrigglesworth and Binns, photo.
Councillor G. Hughan.
The Carterton Borough Gasworks, which were established in April, 1907, occupy an area of one acre on the west side of the town, near the railway station. The works are of modern design, and have a capacity of 25,000 cubic feet of gas per day. They supply twenty-five single street lamps, six centre are lamps (with double burners), also four gas engines, and there are 200 private consumers, Four miles of gas mains are laid throughout the town, and the street lamps are both lighted and extinguished by Gunning's automatic patent.
Mr. John Herdman, Manager of the Carterton Borough Gas Works, was born in Northumberland, England, in November, 1853, and has been connected with gas manufacturing from boyhood. After leaving school he had a brief experience in commercial life, and then entered the employment of the Annfield Plain Gas Company, where he received a thorough training in every branch of gas engineering and manufacturing, and was subsequently appointed manager of the Ouston Gas Works. Three years later he was appointed manager of the Annfield Gas Works, which position he held until coming to New Zealand in the year 1904. On his arrival he was employed by the Napier Gas Company, and remained in their service until he removed to Carterton to superintend the erection of the Borough Gas Works, of which he was subsequently appointed manager. Mr. Herdman is married, and has three sons and four daughters.
The Carterton District High School consists of two buildings, situated on opposite sides of High Street, the one being the original wooden building, and the other a new brick and concrete structure. The former consists of several parts, which have been built at various times as additions to the original single room which was erected in 1868. Three of the rooms which were considered unsuitable for use as class rooms have been converted into cookery and science rooms, and are fitted with the most modern appliances. The remaining three rooms are used as class rooms for some of the primary classes. The new building, which is the first part of a structure to accommodate the whole school, was built in 1906, at a cost of £1,700. There are four large class rooms, and the head-master's office. In this building are the upper primary classes and the secondary classes. A fine lawn in front of the school is used as a tennis court. The school was constituted a District High School in October, 1905, and there are forty-six pupils in the secondary classes, under two assistants. The primary department contains two hundred and seventy children, with six teachers, and both divisions are under the headmaster, Mr. A. N. Burns, B.A. About one half of an acre out of a total area of five acres of school grounds is set aside for agriculture, and has been laid out in thirty plots, which are cultivated by the boys of the school. This school, which is one of the oldest in the district, has successively been managed by the following teachers: Mrs. Jones, Messrs. Adam, Armstrong, Samuels, Brann, Bennett, McDermid, and Burns. Owing to the gradual development of the district it has grown from a small school of one room, with one teacher, to its present large dimensions.
Mr. Andrew Nisbet Burns, B.A., Head-master of the Carterton District High School, was born at Lawrence, Otago, where his father was one of the proprietors of the “Tuapeka Times” in the days when Gabriel's Gully was a prosperous mining centre. He gained a Board Scholarship at the River ton District High School, and then continued his education at the Southland Boys' High School. He attained his B.A. degree at the Otago University College in 1896, and secured a proficiency certificate in Education from the New Zealand University in 1903. Prior to receiving his present position in April, 1906, Mr. Burns served successively as a pupil teacher in Blenheim, sole teacher at Wainuiomata, and first assistant at the Hutt and Masterton.
Dransfield, Sydney, Surgeon Dentist, High Street, Carterton. This page 745 practice was established in March, 1899, and the apartments consist of a surgery (with up-to-date appliances), a waiting room, and workrooms. Mr. Dransfleld was born in Wellington in October, 1870, and is the youngest son of the late Mr. Joseph Dransfield, a former mayor of Wellington. He was educated at Wellington College, and subsequently studied for his profession under Mr. R. C. Bulkley, with whom he remained for six years. During this time he qualified, and shortly afterwards settled in Carterton. Mr. Dransfield is vice-president of the bowling club, a steward of the racing club, a member of the Agricultural and Pastoral Association, and a keen angler and sportsman.
Jackson, Howard Edward, Surgeon Dentist, Krahagen's Buildings, Carterton. Telephone, 61. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. This practice was established in July, 1905, by Mr. Jackson, and is conducted in apartments consisting of a surgery, a waiting room, and workrooms, suitably fitted up with the latest instruments and appliances, and there is a lady assistant in attendance. Mr. Jackson is the only son of Mr. W. H. Jackson, head-master of the Masterton District High School, and was born In Wellington in October, 1883. He was educated at the Masterton District High School, and at the Wellington College, and afterwards studied for his profession in Masterton with Messrs. Blythe and Campbell, and Dr. R. V. Hosking, D.D.S. He became a qualified dentist in June, 1905, after passing the various examinations, and then started on his own account in Carterton.
King, Daniel Thomas, Builder, Contractor, and Undertaker, Broadway Street, Carterton. This business was established by Mr. King in South Carterton, and in 1903 the premises were removed to a site opposite the post office, when Mr. King bought out the business of Mr. A. M. Brown. In the year 1907 the present fine premises, consisting of a two-storeyed wood and iron building, measuring forty-one feet by eighty feet, were erected, and they contain a showroom, a well-appointed office, a factory, and storerooms. The factory is fitted up with a complete plant of wood-working machinery (driven by a six-horse power oil engine), where all the joinery work required in the business is done. A large stock of timber is kept in the yard, in order that it may be thoroughly seasoned before being used. On an average twelve persons are employed in the business. Mr. King was born near Melbourne, Australia, in March, 1859, and came to New Zealand at eight years of age. In 1879 he was apprenticed to the building trade, and after completing his indentures removed to Carterton and started business on his own account. Mr. King is a trustee and local preacher of the Methodist Church, and superintendent of the Sunday School. He was a member of the Carterton Borough Council, and for eleven years was secretary of the local lodge of Rechabites, of which he is still a member. Mr. King is married, and has four sons and three daughters. His eldest son is building foreman, and his third son is foreman of the factory and architect for the firm.
Mr. D. T. King.
Wallis, Arnold R., Builder and Contractor, Main Street, Carterton. Mr. Wallis' premises are situated at the north end of the town, and include an office, a workshop, and a timber yard. He has erected a number of buildings in and around Carterton, among which may be mentioned the first cheese factory built in wood, also the first in brick in the district, the Old Men's Home, Mr. Moriarty's premises, and the residences of Mr. T. E. Mauusell, Mr. Frank Bunny, and Mr. Joseph Oates. The workshop contains a complete plant of woodworking machinery, driven by an eight-horse power gas engine, and the staff consists of twenty-five tradesmen. Mr. Wallis was born at Stoke, Nelson, in April, 1846, and was educated at a private school conducted by his father. He afterwards learned the building trade under Mr. John Scott, and then followed his trade as a journeyman for some years both at Nelson and New Plymouth. In the year 1870 he removed to the Wairarapa district, for some time was engaged in contract work at Featherston, and then settled at Carterton, where he has since conducted a successful business. Mr. Wallls is married, and has nine sons and four daughters.
Cook Brothers (E. H. Cook and W. R. Cook), Painters, Paper-hangers, Glaziers, and Signwriters, High Street, Carterton. This business was established in January, 1906. The premises consist of a large shop, carrying a splendid stock of the newest styles in paper-hangings, oilmen's stores, and paints. The firm undertake all classes of decorative work, and employ six persons in the various branches of the business.
Mr. William Ronald Cook was born in Greytown in February, 1882, and is a son of Mr. Henry Cook. After leaving school he spent four years at the grocery trade in Greytown, and then learned the painting trade under Mr. J. P. Cooke, of Nelson. Two years later he removed to Levin, spent three years at his trade as a journeyman, then settled in Carterton, where he worked for twelve months, and afterwards joined his brother in partnership.
Imrie, William Matthew, Tailor and Costumier, High Street, Carterton. The premises consist of a two-storeyed building, containing the shop, fitting room, workrooms, and cutting rooms. The proprietor makes a specialty of ladies' riding habits and military uniforms, and also does a considerable trade in general tailoring. The shop is well stocked with riding, uniform, and other tailoring materials, and six persons are constantly employed. Mr. Imrle was born in September, 1875, in India, and is a son of Mr. David Alexander Imrie, who served in the Indian Mutiny in the 92nd Gordon Highlanders. He was educated at Simla, and learned the tailoring trade in Calcutta, where he spent a number of years in the employment of leading tailoring establishments. He then became managing director of the Central India Tailoring Company, Limited, whose head-quarters were at Gwalior, but resigned owing to ill-health, and came to New Zealand, where he established his present business. Mr. Imrie is married, and has one son.
Preddy, Joseph, Coal, Wood, and Produce Merchant, Carterton. The premises occupy a section in Pembroke street, one-third of an acre in extent, near the railway station, and comprise an office, storerooms, and wood, coal, and coke yards. The chief coals stocked are Pelawmain, Westport, State, and nuts, and there page 746 is a wood-sawing plant driven by an eight-horse power oil engine. Mr. Preddy holds agencies for the “Zealandia” and “Miner” ranges and grates, “Everybody's” filter, “Lily” washing fluid, and for a substance known as “Kyl-Kol,” which when mixed with coal makes the latter last longer, with better results, Mr. Preddy was born in October, 1877, In Temuka. South Canterbury, where his father is a threshing mill proprietor. He was educated at the Temuka High School, of which he was dux for one year, afterwards assisted his father for some time, and spent four years on the staff of the “Temuka Leader.” Inside work affecting his health, he resigned, and for a number of years found outside employment mainly in traction engine work, both in Canterbury, and in the North Island. For twelve months he was employed by Mr. A. E. Spooner, a traction engine contractor, then spent four years and a half with Messrs. W. Booth and Company, saw-millers, of Carterton, and early in the year 1906 established his present business. Mr. Preddy is a local preacher in the Methodist Church, and superintendent of the Greytown Methodist Sunday-School. He is an ex-member of the fire brigade, secretary of the Order of Rechabites, and is a Good Templar. In December, 1904, he married Miss Mary Thompson, of Matarawa, and has one daughter. Their private residence is in Kent street.
Mr. J. Preddy.
Foster, Thomas William, Cabinetmaker and Furniture Manufacturer, High Street, Carterton. This business was established about 1888, and removed in 1905 to the present premises, which contain a fine showroom with plate glass windows, the workshops and yards. All kinds of furniture and cabinet-ware are manufactured on the premises, and picture framing is also done. Mr. Foster was born in Boston, Lancashire, England, in May, 1858, was educated at Barnett, in Sussex, and came to New Zealand in the year 1871. For four years he found employment on a farm in Picton, afterwards served his time to the cabinetmaking trade in Wellington, and then removed to the Wairarapa district, where for some years he worked as a journeyman at his trade, and in 1888 started business on his own account in Carterton. Mr. Foster is a member of the Wesleyan Church, and is vice-superintendent, secretary, and treasurer of the Sunday School. He is a member of the Order of Rechabites, which he has several times represented as a delegate. Mr. Foster is married, and has six sons and seven daughters.
Hoar and Permain, Furniture Manufacturers and Importers, Masterton and Carterton. The Carterton branch of this popular firm was conducted for many years by Mr. Baggerley, prior to being acquired by the present proprietors in the year 1905. The premises have a frontage of sixty feet, and the large show windows display the firm's manufactures and importations. The showrooms at the rear (extending across the full breadth of the building), contain a large and varied assortment of general furniture, cabinet-ware, upholstery, carpets, etc., and there are also two workrooms, where several persons are constantly employed.
Fraser, James, Hairdresser and Tobacconist, High Street, Carterton. This business was acquired by the present proprietor in June, 1904. The saloon was three chairs, is up-to-date in every respect, and the shop carries a general stock of tobaccos, pipes, fancy goods, and toilet requisites. Mr. Fraser was born on Hawkesbury station, Marlborough, in June, 1876, was educated at the Blenheim Public School, under Mr. J. P. Lucas, and afterwards served an apprenticeship to the hair-dressing trade under Mr. Chittenden and Mr. Patchett, of Blenheim, and Mr. Hyde, of Wellington. For some years subsequently Mr. Fraser followed the grocery trade in Blenheim, then removed to the North Island, and for some time held the position of guard on the railway at Greytown, until establishing his present business in Carterton. Mr. Fraser is a Freemason and a Forester, and is vice-president of two football clubs. He is married, and has three sons.
Mr. Thomas Pierson Firman, proprietor of the Club Hotel, was born in Gisborne in 1869, and was educated at the public schools and at the Boys' High School, Christchurch. He afterwards entered the railway service, rose to the position of station-master, and was stationed successively at Chertsey, Te Aro, Carterton, and Marton Junction, but subsequently resigned to take over the Club Hotel. He is a member of the Order of Freemasons, a steward of the racing club, and a member of other local organisations. Mr. Firman is married, and has two daughters.
The Wairarapa Cycle and Motor Works (A. S. Judd, proprietor). High Street, Carterton. These works were established in the year 1905 by Mr. A. S. Judd. The premises comprise a shop and a large workroom. Mr. Judd imports direct, keeps a large stock of bicycles, motor parts, and accessories always on hand, and builds a good machine under the name of “Dominion,” which is sold at £16; he also carries a stock of the “Ceutaur” cycle and the “Fairy” motor cycle, which latter is fast becoming popular in the district. Four persons are kept constantly employed in the repairing department.
Mr. Arthur Stanley Judd, proprietor of the Wairarapa Cycle and Motor Works, was born in the Lower Hutt in the year 1880, and is a son of Mr. James Judd. an old settler of the Lower Hutt, and a grandson of one of the first arrivals in the Dominion. After leaving school he followed farming pursuits for a short time, and then learned the engineering and blacksmithing trades. He subsequently managed his father's farm for about five years, and after a short period of mercantile experience he bought his present business. Mr. Judd is captain of the local cycling club, and a member of the fire brigade. He is married, and has three children.
Scannell, Bernard, General Provision Merchant, High Street, Carterton. This business was established in the year 1881 by Mr. Frank Feist, and was acquired by the present proprietor in 1905. It is conducted in a large wooden building, occupying a valuable site at the corner of High street and Holloway street, comprising the shop, manager's office, and storerooms; and a large bulk storeroom, granary, and stables occupy the rear iwrtion of the section, the two buildings being separated by a yard. Three large plate glass windows face the main street, the whole building is well-appointed, and is lighted by gas, with large are lights under the verandah. The proprietor is a direct importer, has regular shipments frequently arriving, and carries a heavy stock of general groceries, ironmongery, crockery, drapery, fancy goods, patent medicines, heavy iron goods, builders' and fencing materials, grain, produce, and seeds. Delivery is made daily by cart throughout the district, and the turnover is very large. Mr. Scannell was born in August, 1879, in Wanganui, where he was educated at the Marist Brothers' School, and then served an apprenticeship to the drapery trade under Mr. Joseph Paul. In 1897 he went to South Africa, and was made inspector of branches for the well-known firm of Messrs. Suter and Company, Limited, of London. This position he held for two years, and during that time had complete supervision over a number of branches of the business throughout South Africa, which gave him a splendid insight into retail trading. Resigning this appointment in 1899, Mr. Scannell went to England, and secured agencies for some important manufacturing firms, including Messrs. John Mariow and Sons (boot manufacturers, Northampton, England), Hoare and Douglas (boot manufacturers), Wills and Company (clothing manufacturers, of Bristol), and Pingree and Smith (boot manufacturers, of Philadelphia, America). Subsequently he returned to Africa, settled at Johannesburg, and for six years conducted a successful business with the agencies throughout South Africa. In 1905, owing to ill-health, he resigned his appointments, re-turned to New Zealand, and, later established his present business. Mr. Scannell is a member of the racing and bowling clubs, and the Agricultural and Pastoral Association.
The Wairarapa Brick, Pipe, and Tile Works, Carterton. This business was established in October, 1899, and has been formed into a Iimited liability company, with Mr. J. A. Dudson as chairman of directors and Mr. H. S. Moss as secretary. The works are situated on Rutland road, about three-quarters of a mile from the railway station, and the firm hold rights over fifteen acres of first-class brick-making clay land. The premises are built of wood, are thoroughly up-to-date both in construction and machinery, and there are ample drying sheds. Flange pipes and junctions, drainage tiles, and agricultural pipes, of all kinds and sizes, are manufactured, and sixteen persons are employed in connection with the business.
Mr. James M. Nicholls, Manager of the Wairarapa Brick, Pipe, and Tile Works, was born in London, in August, 1871, and came to New Zealand with his parents at three years of age. He was educated in Wellington, where he learned the brick and pipe-making trade under Mr. William Murphy, with whom he worked continuously for thirteen years. On the establishment of the Carterton Works he was employed as foreman, and was promoted to the position of manager in the year 1907. Mr. Nicholls is a past chief ranger in the Order of Foresters, a past arch in the Order of Druids, secretary of the Wairarapa Referees' Association and of the local football club; he is a keen sportsman, is a well-known pigeon shot, and has won several trophies. Mr. Nicholls is married, and has one son.
Mr. William Howard Booth, only son of the late Mr. William Booth, was born on the Carrington estate, Carterton, in September, 1877, and after completing his education at the Wanganui Collegiate School commenced farming with his father. On the death of the latter he became sole proprietor of the station. When “Carrington” was acquired by the Government in February, 1908, Mr. Booth retained the homestead block of 1,000 acres, which he now farms, and the remainder of the estate is administered by the Public Trustee. Mr. Booth is a member of the executive of the Wairarapa Agricultural and Pastoral Association, and has always given much time and attention to the annual Carterton show. As an exhibitor of fat sheep and lambs he holds an unbroken record, extending over fifteen years, and at the Christchurch show of 1906 he gained three firsts, one second, and three specials out of four entries. He is also an enthusiastic horseman, was quartermaster sergeant of the South Wairarapa Mounted Rifles, and has on several occasions taken part in the jumping contests of various agricultural and pastoral shows. In August, 1907, Mr. Booth married Miss Catherine McGoun, of Invercargill.
Mr. William Booth was born at Pilkington, Lancashire, England, in the year 1837, was educated at Lancashire College, Manchester, and came to New Zealand, via America, in 1872, by the s.s. “Nevada,” from San Francisco. He settled in Carterton, and as a large saw-mill owner and timber merchant, and the sole partner in the firm of W. Booth and Company, of Wellington and Christchurch, his name was well known throughout the Dominion. He first entered into business as a saw-miller in the year 1873, in Ohariu Valley, and subsequently transferred his plant to the Upper Hutt. In the year 1874 he commenced cutting in Carterton, Wairarapa, where he held rights over several thousand acres of bush. Many of the successful industries of Wellington and district owe much to the energy and enterprise of Mr. Booth. He was chairman of directors of the Wellington Meat Export Company, was a member for twelve years of the Wairarapa North and South County Councils, a member of the Wellington Harbour Board, a director of the Bank of New Zealand, a member of the Executive of the Agricultural and Pastoral Association, chairman of the committee of the Public Library, chairman of the Greytown Building Society, and for some time chairman of the Dalefield Dairy Company. Mr. Booth died in the year 1903, at the age of sixty-five years, and was survived by his wife, one son, and three daughters.