The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
The Shannon Dairy Company —Mortensen and N. P. Nielsen, proprietors), Rangitikei Street, Palmerston North. Factories at Shannon and Awahuri. This business was established in the year 1905 by private individuals, and afterwards acquired by the present company. The main factory at Shannon was established in the year 1905, and is a wooden building, with a complete up-to-date butter-making plant, driven by a twelve-horse power steam engine. This factory is supplied from two creameries, and the output is about 175 tons of butter per annum. The brand, which has won a good reputation, is the “Shannon.” The factory at Awahuri is also a wooden building, with a first-class plant for butter-making, and turns out about ninety tons per annum; the brand is “Reliance.”
Mr. Niels Peter Nielsen, the junior partner, was born in Denmark in the year 1868, and since leaving school has spent his whole time in the butter-making industry. After gaining a thorough knowledge of the trade, he managed a large butter factory for four years at Millent, in Jut land. In the year 1900 he came to New Zealand, and was successively manager of the Awahuri Dairy Factory and the Rongotea Factory, until starting business on his own account. In this he was soon afterwards joined by his present partner. Mr. Nielsen is a member of the local lodge of Freemasons.
Mr. N. P. Nielsen.