The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Carson and Company (J. H. Carson), Cordial Manufacturers, Grey Street, Palmerston North. This business was established in Palmerston North in the year 1902, having formerly been carried on in Wellington since 1886. The factory (measuring forty-two feet by thirty-five feet) occupies a site in Grey Street, and contains a main storeroom, the brewing department, a special syrup room, a bottle-washing room, and the machinery department. Several persons are constantly employed, and a good business is done over a wide area.
Mr. James Henry Carson, sole proprietor of Messrs. Carson and Company, was born in Wellington in the year 1864. For many years he has been engaged in cordial manufacturing, and originally established his business in Wellington. He is a member of the Order of Foresters, and the Working Men's Club.
Hamilton and Guy, Manufac-turers of Sauces, Pickles, Chutneys, and Cordials, Rangitikei Street, Palmerston North. This business was established in the year 1903, and the firm have since become one of the largest of the kind in the district. The premises consist of a one-storeyed wooden building, and comprise an office, a packing room, manufacturing room, brining shed, boiling room, and a large yard. The factory is furnished with the most up-to-date machinery and appliances, and fifty tons of tomatoes and 150 gallons of Worcester sauce can be dealt with at a time. The firm are makers of tomato sauce, Worcester sauce, anchovy sauce, chutney, pickles, orange and other bitters, curry powder, quinine, sarsaparilla, ginger wine, lime juice, and raspberry vinegar, and also malt and pickling vinegar. They use only the best ingredients, and have won a number of prizes and certificates at exhibitions.
Mr. Hamilton was born in England in the year 1841, came to New Zealand with the troops in 1859, and landed at Auckland. In 1861 he removed to Napier, was in active service for some years, being a witness of the Poverty Bay massacre, and subsequently went to the Australian States with the troops attendant on Governor Groom. He got his discharge late in the “sixties,” entered into business in Napier, but soon afterwards removed to Dunedin, where he was connected with the firm of Crew and Company until 1884, when he went to Australia. For some time he was connected with the leading manufacturing firms of Australia, gained a thorough knowledge of his trade, and on his return to New Zealand established his present business in conjunction with Mr. Guy.
Mr. Guy was born in Tyrone, Ireland. In the year 1873 he went to Canada, followed farming pursuits for a time, then went into the flour-milling trade in Ontario for ten years, and subsequently spent some time in the United States, before returning to England in the year 1894. In 1904 Mr. Guy came to New Zealand, and in the following year joined Mr. Hamilton in partnership.