The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
The Linton Public Store (G. J. Ward, proprietor), which stands at the junction of the main Palmerston North-Wellington road and the Linton District road, about nine miles from Palmerston North, was opened in the year 1904. The premises consist of a large building, containing a store, a store room, and a private residence, and detached stables. A large stock of groceries, ironmongery, crockery, brushware, drapery, clothing, boots, patent medicines, and grain and produce is carried. An extensive retail business is conducted, and delivery vans are kept constantly employed in the township and the surrounding district. In conjunction with the store there is a billiard room, fitted with one of Alcock's tables.
Mr. George Jocelyn Ward, proprietor of the Linton Public Store, was born in the year 1875, on board the ship “Lady Jocelyn,” in which his parents emigrated to New Zealand. He was educated at Akaroa, Banks' Peninsula, and at thirteen years of age removed to Palmerston North, where he was employed by the United Farmers' Co-operative Association for about twelve months. He afterwards followed farming pursuits for a number of years, and then took up a farm on his own account at Linton, which he subsequently let to establish his present business. Mr. Ward is secretary of the Linton Sports Club, and was for some time secretary of the Farmers' Union and a member of the school committee. He is married, and has four sons and three daughters.
Mr. G. J. Ward.
Stevens, Frederick, Grocer and General Provision Merchant, Fitz-herbert Street, Palmerston North. Telephone No. 364. The premises occupied by Mr. Stevens consist of a compact shop and storeroom, with a private residence attached. A considerable page 690 stock of general merchandise is carried, including groceries, ironmongery, stationery, patent medicines, and household requisites. Mr. Stevens was born at Islington, London, in the year 1868, was educated at the public schools, and then learned the blacksmithing trade under his father. In 1877 he came to New Zealand, and for some years was engaged in farming and flax-milling, both in Australia and New Zealand, then learned the storekeeping trade, and subsequently started in business on his own account in Palmerston North. Mr. Stevens has been connected with the Ancient Order of Foresters since 1893, and is P.C.R. of the Order. He is married, and has one child.
Tombs and Grubb (S. T. Tombs and F. T. Grubb), General Provision Merchants, Main Street East, Palmerston North. This business was established in the year 1902, and has since become one of the most prosperous of its kind in the town. The premises occupy a central position not far from the post office, with a frontage of thirty feet to the street, and consist of a shop (forty feet deep, with three counters), a large office, a general store, and stock rooms. The firm are direct importers of general merchandise, groceries, and household requisites, and a large and up-to-date stock is maintained. The trade is principally a cash one, and the prices are consequently low. The firm have a fine connection both in the town and suburbs, and employ six persons and two delivery vans in connection with the business. In the year 1905 a branch business was established in Hastings.
Mr. Sydney Thomas Tombs, the senior partner of Messrs. Tombs and Grubb, was born in Birmingham, England, in March, 1882, and was educated at Bablick College, Coventry. In the year 1892 he came to New Zealand, found employment with the United Farmers' Co-operative Association, Palmerston North, and remained with that firm continuously for ten years, latterly as their country traveller. He subsequently took a trip abroad, and en his return to New Zealand started his present business in partnership with Mr. Grubb. Mr. Tombs is a member of the local brass band and of the orchestral society. In 1904 he married Miss Standen, of Palmerston North, and has one daughter.
Woodroofe, George, and Company . Storekeepers, Main Street East, Palmerston North. This business was established by Mr. George Woodroofe, and has since attained large proportions. Mr. Woodroofe also carries on farming in conjunction with the above. He was born in Wicklow, Ireland, in the year 1849, was educated at St. George's School, Dublin, and was afterwards apprenticed to the cabinet-making and French polishing trade in Dublin. Five years later he started in business on his own account. In 1871 Mr. Woodroofe came to New Zealand, and went to Masterton, where he joined an uncle, who had previously come out to the Dominion. For the following nine years he was engaged at bushclearing, fencing, and sheep and dairy farming, and then removed to Palmerston North, where he started in business as a cabinet-maker. This business he successfully conducted for some years, and then decided to again take up farming. Mr. Woodroofe acquired land at Hokowhitu, and established his present business at Palmerston North in conjunction with his family. For some years, also, he cut greenstone for the Maoris at Masterton and in Palmerston North. Mr. Woodroofe was the first person to advocate a school for Terrace End, and he was chiefly instrumental in establishing it. He has been a member of the Licensing Committee, of which he was chairman for two years, has been secretary of United Manawatu Lodge, No. 1721 E.C., for eighteen years; he has also held the office of secretary of the Order of Foresters for ten years, and was made a Justice of the Peace in 1905. In 1871 Mr. Woodroofe married Miss Susan Sebery, in Dublin, the daughter of a farmer in the county of Sligo, and has six sons and three daughters.