The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Clausen, Arthur Edward, Crockery and Glassware Importer, The Square, Palmerston North. This extensive business was established in the year 1900. The premises consist of a double-fronted shop with a verandah, and a large showroom at the rear, and comprise one of the largest crockery establishments in the province. A general stock of imported goods, including china and glassware is maintained. Mr. Clausen was born in Denmark, came to New Zealand with his parents in the year 1876, and settled in Palmerston North. He was brought up to the trade of a general storekeeper, and started business on his own account at Dannevirke in 1885. Mr. Clausen disposed of this business, and was farming for some time before acquiring his present business.
Mr. A. E. Clausen.
The Malcolm Furnishing Company, Limited (N. Malcolm), The Square, Palmerston North. This business was established in the year 1889 by Mr. J. R. Montague, and was acquired by Mr. Malcolm in the year 1903. In April, 1906, the present limited liability company was formed, with Mr. Malcolm as managing director. The premises consist of a large two-storeyed building, with a frontage of forty feet, and a depth of 166 feet. The factory, at the rear, is a commodious apartment measuring forty feet by 100 feet, and contains the cabinet-making, furniture manufacturing, picture framing, and bed-making departments, There is also a workshop where upholstering is done, and an extensive yard. The showroom occupies the whole of the fore part of the building, and carries a heavy stock of furniture and household furnishings, which are attractively displayed. Besides being large manufacturers, the firm are direct importers of all household furniture Twenty persons are employed in connection with the business.
Mr. Nathaniel Malcolm, Managing Director of the Malcolm Furnishing Company Limited, was born in Scotland in the year 1862, and came to New Zealand in the year 1874. He was apprenticed to the furniture and cabinet-making trade under Messrs. North and Scoullar, of Dunedin, and eight years later left that firm and was employed for some years by a large manufacturing house in Wellington. Subsequently he was engaged at his trade in other parts of the Dominion until 1896, when he settled in Palmerston North under engagement to Mr. J. R. Montague, whom he afterwards bought out. Mr. Malcolm is a member of the Agricultural and Pastoral Association.
Pegden, William, Furniture Dealer, The Square, Palmerston North. This business was established in the year 1882 by the present proprietor, and under progressive management it has grown from a small shop to one of the largest furniture establishments in the district. The premises, a two-storeyed building, have a fine frontage to the Square, a depth of 400 feet, and contain a fine showroom and an up-to-date office. Immediately at the rear are the manufacturing rooms, where most of the goods for the business are made, and these rooms are all fitted up with the latest appliances for the trade. There is also a storeroom for timber, so that it may be thoroughly seasoned before being used. The main wood-work factory is a large two-storeyed detached building, with a thoroughly up-to-date plant of machinery, driven by a twenty-seven-horse power Crossley gas engine, together with a reserve twelve-horse power horizontal steam engine. A large number of persons are constantly employed, and Mr. Pegden keeps a large and well-assorted stock of furniture of all kinds. He was born in July, 1857, at Bayswater, London, and was brought up to the furniture trade. He came to New Zealand in the ship “Halcione,” in the year 1870, and after working for some time in Wellington, removed to Palmerston North, where he has since continuously resided. Mr. Pegden is married, and has four sons and six daughters.
Mr. W. Pegden's Premises.
Stannard, Alfred Charles, Wicker, Bamboo, and Rattan Furniture Manufacturer, Main Street, Palmerston North. This business was established in the year 1891, and has been increasing ever since. Only the best materials are used in the manufacture of furniture, and the goods find a ready market in the district. There is a showroom connected with the factory, where all kinds of furniture are displayed, and inspection is cordially invited. Eight persons are employed in connection with the business.