Law and Bowman,
Coal and Wood Merchants, Main Street West, Palmerston North. This business was founded in June, 1906, by Mr. Shepherd, and acquired by the present firm in the year 1907. The yards occopy a quarter of an acre of land, with an office in front and a convenient loading platform at the rear. Two carts are employed in connection with the business, and orders are promptly delivered in the town and district. The principal coals stocked are State, Newcastle, and Westport, and all the coal is carefully screened before being delivered. Screenings and coke are also supplied.
Mr. Joseph Law
was born in the year 1868 at Tua Marina, Marlborough, where he was educated and brought up to farming pursuits. On the death of his father he learned the engineering trade in connection with traction and stationary engines, and for about six years was in business on his own account, having qualified as an engineer. In the year 1901 he removed to the North Island, and subsequently entered the employment of Messrs. R. McMurray and Company, coal, wood, and general merchants. Twelve months later he was appointed engineer in Mr. Cook's cooperage, where he remained until establishing his present business. Mr. Law takes a keen interest in church work, is a local preacher and steward
in the Cuba Street Wesleyan Church, a delegate on the Rangitikei and Manawatu Christian Endeavour Union, and a member of the Order of Rechabites. He is married, and has nine children.