The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
The Bank of New South Wales is situated in Main Street opposite the Post Office, Palmerston North. The branch was established in the year 1901. The building is a single-storeyed one of wood and iron, and contains a banking chamber and the manager's room, and residential rooms. The staff consists of the manager, Mr. G. W. Harden, and five assistants.
The Bank of Australasia in Palmerston North was opened in the year 1875, and occupies a site at the corner of the Square and Broad Street. The premises consist of a wooden building, containing a banking chamber, the manager's room, strong room, and residence. Mr. T. T. Miller is manager, and has a staff of six officers.
The Union Bank of Australia, Limited, has been represented in Palmerston North since the year 1881. The premises occupy a site at the corner of the Square and Broad Street, and contain a banking chamber, the manager's room, and a residence. Mr. John L. Barnicoat, who has been manager of the Palmerston North branch of the Union Bank since 1893, is supported by a strong staff of officers.
The Bank of New Zealand occupies a site at the corner of the Square and Fitzherbert Street. It is a two-storeyed brick building, and contains a banking chamber, manager's room, and a residence. Mr. Charles Smith was appointed manager of the Bank of New Zealand in Palmerston North in the year 1907, and has a staff of twelve officers.