The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Burnard, Arnold Vernon, Surgeon Dentist, The Square, Palmerston North. This practice was acquired in the year 1906, and is conducted on the second floor of a fine brick building. The apartments consist of two well-appointed surgeries, a laboratory, and a waiting room. Two assistants are employed. Mr. Burnard was born in the year 1884, in Dunedin, where he was educated. He afterwards spent four years in the service of the Bank of New Zealand, and was then apprenticed to the dental profession under Mr. J. Glendining, of Dunedin. In 1906 he gained his diploma as a qualified dentist, and soon afterwards removed to Palmerston North to manage Mr. Prowse's practice, which he subsequently purchased. Mr. Burnard is a member of the New Zealand Dental Association. He takes a keen interest in literary and social affairs, and is teacher of elocution at the local technical school.
Cole, Norman Stanley Clarence, Surgeon Dentist, Cuba Street, Palmerston North. This practice was established in the year 1907, and is conducted in part of a two-storeyed building, which contains an up-to-date surgery, a waiting room, and a workroom. Mr. Cole was born in Christchurch, where he was educated at the Cathedral School and at Christ's College. He was then apprenticed to the dentistry under Messrs. Thompson and Turrell, with whom he remained for six years, latterly as manager of their mechanical department. During this period he studied at the Dunedin University College, and, after graduating, took charge of a practice in Wellington. He afterwards conducted a successful practice for three years on his own account, on Lambton Quay, before establishing his present practice. As a volunteer Mr. Cole held the rank of first lieutenant in the Heretaunga Mounted Rifles, Wellington. He is a member of the Order of Druids, and the hockey club.
Lloyd, Robert Vereker, Surgeon Dentist, Church Street East, Palmerston North. Mr. Lloyd was born in Tipperary, Ireland, in the year 1863, and was educated at Pococke College, Kilkenny. In 1882 he emigrated to New Zealand, and for some years was in the railway service, latterly as a stationmaster. He resigned in the year 1888 to study dentistry, and was apprenticed to Mr. Tripe, of Palmerston North. Subsequently for about eight years he practised in Blenheim, before estab lishing his present practice. Mr. Lloyd is president of the local branch of the New Zealand Dental Association, and is also connected with local clubs.
Taplin, Charles Norman, Surgeon Dentist, George Street, Palmerston North. The apartments consist of a fine suite of rooms on the first floor of a new brick and plaster building, and contain a surgery, waiting rooms, and a workroom. An assistant is employed in the mechanical department, and a nurse is constantly in attendance. Mr. Taplin is honorary dental surgeon to the Public Hospital and the Children's Home. He was born in the year 1881 at Patea, where he was educated at the District High School, and afterwards had two years' experience in the Government Railway Department. He was subsequently articled to Mr. J. A. Taggart, dentist, of Palmerston North, with whom he spent four years, and then spent twelve months in gold filling, crown, and bridge work under Dr. T. A. Black, B.Sc. (N.Z. University), D.D.S. (U.S.A.), Wellington, before opening his present practice in Palmerston North. Mr. Taplin conducts a branch at Shannon. He is vice-president of the Palmerston North and Shannon Football Clubs, and a member of the Tennis Club.