The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
The Manawatu Kennel Club was established in the year 1903. For many years the annual exhibition had been held in connection with the Agricultural and Pastoral Association's summer meeting, and at these the greatest number of entries was 125; but since the formation of the club the exhibitions have been held under the auspices of the Agricultural and Pastoral Association, as an important factor of their summer show, and the entries during the four years have increased to 350. The show building (on the right of the main entrance to the Association's grounds) is constructed of wood and iron, with up-to-date divisions, which belong to the club. Throughout the show three officials are in attendance to keep the pens scrupulously clean, to feed and water the dogs, and to give them daily exercise. The Association is financially responsible for the exhibition, and a large number of prizes are awarded each year. The club has achieved great success in the improvement of the breeding and classification of dogs. The Manawatu Kennol Club is affiliated to the New Zealand Kennel Club, and has a membership of forty-five. Mr. W. W. Jacob is president, and Mr. W. F. Durward and Mr. F. E. Watson are vice-presidents.
The Manawatu Racing Club was founded in the year 1880, and the meetings were held on a reserve close to Palmerston North until 1903, when the club acquired a freehold property of 100 acres at Awapuni, near Palmerston North. The expenditure on the grounds, buildings, bringing in the railway, etc., amounted to £22,000. The course is one mile round, and a chain and a half broad, and inside the rail of the course proper is a grass track and an excellent ploughed track. The buildings on the grounds consist of a grand-stand capable of seating 3,000, dining rooms, stewards and secretary's offices, a pavillion, large outside stand, booth, a totalisator house, twenty loose boxes, a sand roll and twenty scraping sheds, refreshment rooms, and booths. The lawns and paddocks are beautifully laid out, and have a background of an area of native bush, with a large lake, facing the members' paddock, at the rear. Two race meetings are held annually, the Summer meeting at Christmas, for three days, and an Autumn meeting in April for two days. Stakes are given to a total of £7,500. Officers for the year 1907: Messrs. R. S. Abraham (president), D. Buick and J. H. P. Strang (vicepresidents), F. J. Nathan (hon treasurer), and J. M. Johnston (secretary.)