The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
The Palmerston North Parish Of The Anglican Church includes the large district between the Oroua river and the ranges, and also Pohangina valley. There are six churches in the parish, and six places where services are held in schools and halls. The principal church at Palmerston North, All Saints', occupies a site of one acre and a half in Church Street. The building is of wood and iron, and has accommodation for 600 persons. At the rear of the church is the vicarage, and a large schoolroom in which a Sunday school is held. St. Peter's Church occupies a site of threequarters of an acre at Terrace End, the building is of wood and iron, and has accommodation for 170 persons. The Rev. C. C. Harper, M.A., Vicar of the parish, was appointed to his present charge in the year 1900, and is assisted by three curates.
The Palmerston North Charge Of The Presbyterian Church extends over a radius of seven miles, with St. Andrew's Church as the centre. St. Andrew's occupies a site of one acre in Church Street, and is a wood and iron building, with accommodation for 550 persons. The present church was built in the year 1892, to replace the smaller one now used for Sunday school work. The manse stands on part of the churcn site. The Rev. Isaac Jolly, M.A., has been resident minister at Palmerston North since the year 1901.
St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church, at Palmerston North, stands on part of a site of two acres on Broad Street. The present church was erected about the year 1888, is of wood and iron, and has seating accommodation for 400 persons. In 1905 a handsome two-storeyed brick building was erected as a Convent, in charge of ten sisters of mercy, who conduct the Girls' High School held in an adjoining building. There are about 300 pupils. The curriculum includes the higher branches of secondary education, including music and singing. The property of the Roman Catholic Church also includes the Zealandia Hall, which has accommodation for 2,000 persons; two club rooms for men, one of which is a reading room; another building reserved for games, debates, and meetings of the Hibernian Society; and a separate library for ladies. The Very Rev. P. C. Costello is priest in charge, and is assisted by the Rev. John Bowe.
The Very Rev. Patrick Curtis Costello took charge of the Palmerston North parish in 1905. He was born in Ireland, educated in Paris and at Prior Park, Bath, Somerset, England. Father Costello was ordained in the year 1882 in Ireland, came to New Zealand in the same year, and was stationed at Auckland. Subsequently he became administrator of the Auckland Roman Catholic Cathedral, and, later, parish priest at Parnell. After a trip to England he was stationed successively at Gisborne, Wellington, Westport, and Marton, before receiving his present charge.
The Palmerston North Methodist Church is situated in Broad Street, and was founded in the year 1883. It is a commodious wooden building, with seating accommodation for about 450 persons. There is a large schoolroom adjoining the page 670 church, and the parsonage is in Church Street. The Rev. J. J. Lewis is the minister in charge.
The Emmanuel Congregational Church, Palmerston North, was established in June, 1901, and occupies a fine site of a quarter of anacre. It is a wood and iron building, with seating accommodation for 250 persons. In the year 1905 a schoolroom and hall were added at the rear of the church. The hall has eight class-rooms and accommodation for 200 persons. There is a Sunday school in connection with the church, with 100 scholars. The Rev. Sydney James Baker is minister in charge.